University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

As I see it, all that would matter is how he does his job. The fact that he openly supports someone who refuses to do their job on the grounds that they do not accept some peoples' sexual orientation would certainly flag up concerns.

I see nothing wrong with interviewing him in this event to find out how he would intend to act in future. If he could not demonstrate impartiality, then there is reason for future potential employers to avoid him. However, unless his course is funded by his employer, I don't see why the University should kick him off the course. If he chooses to do a course which will be of little practical use due to him being unemployable through acting on his beliefs, then that should be at his risk.

As I see it, all that would matter is how he does his job. The fact that he openly supports someone who refuses to do their job on the grounds that they do not accept some peoples' sexual orientation would certainly flag up concerns.

I see nothing wrong with interviewing him in this event to find out how he would intend to act in future. If he could not demonstrate impartiality, then there is reason for future potential employers to avoid him. However, unless his course is funded by his employer, I don't see why the University should kick him off the course. If he chooses to do a course which will be of little practical use due to him being unemployable through acting on his beliefs, then that should be at his risk.

Part of the issue is that when the University "qualifies" a social worker, they are saying that they have the right attitude to do the job of a social worker. This is why they'll have a code of conduct that they will expect their students to abide by.

The person in question was given the boot (I assume) because he failed to promote equality (part of the code of conduct) but aren't Muslims who teach their children that homosexuality is a crime guilty of the same thing? How big does the target audience need to be before the preaching of discrimination is a problem?

I don't like religions that preach this sort of nonsense but I also don't like this politically correct encroachment into peoples personal lives. If a person is able to put aside their personal prejudices in order to do their job in accordance with company policy and instruction then what's the problem? On the basis of this decision, all Muslims should be barred from employment with any organisation that has an equalities policy (most). As much as I like things that discourage religion, I don't think this is right.

The person in question was given the boot (I assume) because he failed to promote equality (part of the code of conduct) but aren't Muslims who teach their children that homosexuality is a crime guilty of the same thing? How big does the target audience need to be before the preaching of discrimination is a problem?

I don't like religions that preach this sort of nonsense but I also don't like this politically correct encroachment into peoples personal lives. If a person is able to put aside their personal prejudices in order to do their job in accordance with company policy and instruction then what's the problem? On the basis of this decision, all Muslims should be barred from employment with any organisation that has an equalities policy[/b] (most). As much as I like things that discourage religion, I don't think this is right.

What if the company's policy is not to make any homophobic comments on any form of media? That is why this student was dismissed from his course, not for having his beliefs.

This also explains why Muslims aren't barred from employment from organisations with equalities policies, as long as their actions are acceptable, they can believe whatever they like.

I don't like religions that preach this sort of nonsense but I also don't like this politically correct encroachment into peoples personal lives. If a person is able to put aside their personal prejudices in order to do their job in accordance with company policy and instruction then what's the problem? On the basis of this decision, all Muslims should be barred from employment with any organisation that has an equalities policy (most). As much as I like things that discourage religion, I don't think this is right.

Dan walker got a bit of stick for his "oh look at me I'm a Christian" thing but all Dan walker has to do really is read off an autocue. He's not got to decide whether he should let a gay couple adopt a child. We have enough predujices in social services (ukip supporter denied the opportunity to adopt) as it is, we don't need this one either.

I just wonder whether there is more to this story than we're being told....

Yes there is an issue of freedom of expression, one of the characteristics of the British values that are being rigorously promoted at the moment in educational institutions. However, this student's chosen future profession, values 'anti discriminatory practice'.

That he got this far into his course without his views being challenged is surprising....Even more surprising is his choice of career, given the values he holds.

I just wonder whether there is more to this story than we're being told....

Yes there is an issue of freedom of expression, one of the characteristics of the British values that are being rigorously promoted at the moment in educational institutions. However, this student's chosen future profession, values 'anti discriminatory practice'.

That he got this far into his course without his views being challenged is surprising....Even more surprising is his choice of career, given the values he holds.

Normally this is where I go "of course we're missing something - the British wouldn't know a properly research article if it kicked them in the face" but on this occasion, the university are keeping quiet, according to said article.

I think matey has run to the papers without the whole appeal process etc being completed.

EDIT - a lot of Christian charities do a lot of good work, I'm sure a significant number of their members aren't keen on gays.

The British Association of Social Workers code of conduct covers student social workers as well as social workers themselves. The student has clearly broken the terms of their code of conduct, so he certainly opened himself up disciplinary action.

Here's the BASW social media policy:http://cdn.basw.co.uk/upload/basw_34634-1.pdf

There is a bit more of a background to the story. He was removed under fitness to practice as a social worker grounds, rather than just being kicked off his university course.

Yes, just read a bit further than the headline. They should interview people about their views before they start these courses. But if they did that, the religious would be barred from some jobs.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 18:10 ----------

So I could be sacked for making the same comment on Facebook.

Its almost like we are all being watched. I dont speak to anyone else, face to face, is it restricting free speech ;)

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 18:11 ----------

EDIT - a lot of Christian charities do a lot of good work, I'm sure a significant number of their members aren't keen on gays.

I guess they might respond better to a like minded person, if they need help from a SW

Yes, just read a bit further than the headline. They should interview people about their views before they start these courses. But if they did that, the religious would be barred from some jobs.

He was kicked off the course for having the views, it was because he expressed the views in a public forum.