University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

Of course the professional body's code of conduct would have been explained to the student.

It would also have been explained that the students that their attitudes are also under assessment throughout the course, because if they pass the course the University is in effect saying that this individual has the right attitude to become a social worker.

That answers a question I didn't ask and avoids the question I did ask, how is he to know which opinions and beliefs can be openly expressed and which have to remain private if he isn't given a list.

That answers a question I didn't ask and avoids the question I did ask, how is he to know which opinions and beliefs can be openly expressed and which have to remain private if he isn't given a list.

One assumes that he's clever enough to work it out. The others seem to have.

Isn't the students judgement under assessment during the course? If so, then if student is unable to show suitable professional judgement on what is acceptable behaviour on social media, then you'd have to question their suitability of being a social worker.

One assumes that he's clever enough to work it out. The others seem to have.

That's a huge assumption.

Firstly he is a Christians and he thinks his beliefs are truth.

Secondly he came from a culture in which the majority probably have the same beliefs, even a significant minority in the UK share his beliefs.

Thirdly we don't send clergy and clerks to prison for refusing to marry same sex couples, so why would he think there is anything wrong in showing support for one that had been sent to prison?

Fourthly the Bible tends to be a book that is respected in the UK, so why would he think there is anything wrong in quoting passages from it?

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 17:20 ----------

Isn't the students judgement under assessment during the course? If so, then if student is unable to show suitable professional judgement on what is acceptable behaviour on social media, then you'd have to question their suitability of being a social worker.

So we are back to it was his opinion and beliefs they don't like, not the fact he expressed his beliefs on face book.

And how would those beliefs affect his ability to work, throughout history people with some very bizarre beliefs have done some amazing things for humanity.

Edited by sutty27

That's a huge assumption.

Firstly he is a Christians and he thinks his beliefs are truth.

Secondly he came from a culture in which the majority probably have the same beliefs, even a significant minority in the UK share his beliefs.

Thirdly we don't send clergy and clerks to prison for refusing to marry same sex couples, so why would he think there is anything wrong in showing support for one that had been sent to prison?

Fourthly the Bible tends to be a book that is respected in the UK, so why would he think there is anything wrong in quoting passages from it?

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 17:20 ----------

So we are back to it was his opinion and beliefs they don't like, not the fact he expressed his beliefs on face book.

And how would those beliefs affect his ability to work, throughout history people with some very bizarre beliefs have done some amazing things for humanity.

I don't think he was using his judgement by posting something online which could be interpreted as being discriminatory, and the antithesis to the values necessary to his chosen career.

Yes there are the odd people with bizarre beliefs who do amazing things for humanity; however the mundane reality is that there are countless more people who are unsuited to the jobs they do. There was a rigorous selection process when I trained to be a social worker, and anti discriminatory practice is an essential in Social Work - challenging discrimination is a core part of the role.

It may be possible that we don't know the full facts of the case, and there were other factors leading to the decision to withdraw him from the course.

Social Work is an incredibly demanding and pressurised job, and there are unfilled vacancies throughout the country; and Universities, under pressure by funding issues, would be reluctant to withdraw anyone.

Edited by Mister M

I don't think he was using his judgement by posting something online which could be interpreted as being discriminatory, and the antithesis to the values necessary to his chosen career.

So he would have been kicked off for posting, I support gay marriage, I oppose racists, because both could be interpreted as being discriminatory.

Yes there are the odd people with bizarre beliefs who do amazing things for humanity; however the mundane reality is that there are countless more people who are unsuited to the jobs they do. There was a rigorous selection process when I trained to be a social worker, and anti discriminatory practice is an essential in Social Work - challenging discrimination is a core part of the role.

It may be possible that we don't know the full facts of the case, and there were other factors leading to the decision to withdraw him from the course.

Social Work is an incredibly demanding and pressurised job, and there are unfilled vacancies throughout the country; and Universities, under pressure by funding issues, would be reluctant to withdraw anyone.

He didn't discriminate against anyone.

If it is believed that on the basis of his religious beliefs he would discriminate against gay people then on that same basis if you support gay marriage you would surely discriminate against anyone that doesn't, if you oppose racist you would surely discriminate against racists.

Would you support or oppose the imprisonment of a vicar that refused to marry a gay couple?

I find facebook utterly tedious and don't use it but the upshot of this seems to be only discuss mundane dross on it or you'll get sacked.

I've never been on it, but it does seam bizarre that some people can post their thoughts, opinions and beliefs whilst others are condemned for doing the same.

No the point I was making was that he showed poor judgement for sharing the beliefs in the media in a way that could be traced back to him, his job and his profession.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 18:34 ----------

I've never been on it, but it does seam bizarre that some people can post their thoughts, opinions and beliefs whilst others are condemned for doing the same.

I'm surprised that you find it bizarre that different jobs and professions expect different standards.

No the point I was making was that he showed poor judgement for sharing the beliefs in the media in a way that could be traced back to him, his job and his profession.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 18:34 ----------

I'm surprised that you find it bizarre that different jobs and professions expect different standards.

I would say that he shouldn't have to hide his beliefs, he should be free to express them and he shouldn't be discriminated against for expressing them. Just because he opposes gay marriage doesn't mean he would be unable to work as a social worker.

I find it very bizarre that a public body is allowed to get away with such blatant discrimination, and they have actuality breached their own rules in doing so, but it doesn't surprise me.