University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

STUDENT KICKED OFF SHEFFIELD UNIVERSITY COURSE FOR ANTI GAY FACEBOOK POST

A Christian social work student has been expelled from his course after voicing anti-gay marriage opinions on Facebook.

Felix Ngole, 38, was a second-year masters student at Sheffield University when he shared a Facebook post saying "I stand with Kim Davis" - the American county clerk who was jailed for refusing to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples.

He also commented on the link quoting a bible verse from Leviticus calling homosexuality an "abomination" in September 2015.

Two months later he said he received an email from the university asking him to attend a meeting to discuss the posts and the father of four was then referred to a fitness to practise committee, which decided he should be ejected from the course.

A letter revealing the committee's decision later told him his actions had "transgressed boundaries which are not deemed appropriate for someone entering the social work profession" and ordered him to hand in his student card.

The committee said its decision was not based on his views but the act of publicly posting them "may have caused offence to some individuals".

Mr Ngole said: "My beliefs about marriage and sexual ethics reflect mainstream, biblical understanding, shared by millions around the world.

"Simply expressing that understanding, in a personal capacity, on my Facebook page, cannot be allowed to become a bar to serving and helping others in a professional capacity as a social worker.

Mr Ngole is appealing against the decision, but if it is not overturned it may prevent him from becoming a social worker.

He believes the decision is an effective "bar to office for Christians" and that he may suffered discrimination.

He said: "I wonder whether the university would have taken any action if a Muslim student who believes in Sharia law, with its teaching about women and homosexuality, had made moderate comments on his Facebook page. I don't think so."

Andrea Williams, chief executive of the Christian Legal Centre, which is supporting Mr Ngole, said: "Sadly, this is yet another case of Christians being 'neutered' in the public arena, and of censorship of views."

My bold towards the bottom=

He broke the code that social workers are supposed to follow and when thrown off the course he chucks his toys out of the pram and then starts saying he wonders wether Muslims in a similar situation would also be kicked off a course.

This guy is not social worker material....

Looks to me like they broke their own code of ethics by discriminating against him because of his spiritual beliefs.

they haven't discriminated against him at all. they have prevented him from, possibly, damaging further vulnerable people because of his spiritual beliefs.

on the other hand, he must have been very well aware that his post was likely to be noticed and that it would have triggered the response it got. So he's probably deliberatly done it to generate some "christian victim" stories.

I would have thought that most people that are anti-gay marriage would be religious. I can't think of a reason to oppose it on any other grounds other than religion.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 20:19 ----------

Not sure why you think reading it again would change anything I said.

He supports someone of faith that refused to do something because it was against his religious beliefs, not the end of the world in my book.

Maybe not the end of the world, but Kim Davies should've resigned if they could not do the job as a public servant and Felix sets the precedent with quoting this on a public forum. A social worker will in their work come into contact with the LGBT community as any other and should have not any bias. Simple, do logic!

The Code of Ethics for Social Work

1 Challenging discrimination Social workers have a responsibility to challenge discrimination on the basis of characteristics such as ability, age, culture, gender or sex, marital status, socio-economic status, political opinions, skin colour, racial or other physical characteristics, sexual orientation or spiritual beliefs

Looks to me like they broke their own code of ethics by discriminating against him because of his spiritual beliefs.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 20:49 ----------

I would say no he didn't breach those rules, which one of the rules do you think he broke?

So you think that publicly alluding that homosexuality an abomination is professionally appropriate? Did he use social media as a positive platform for exchanging ideas and knowledge and to promote the social work profession?

Was his actions what you'd expect of an ambassador of social work?

Listen, I'm not giving you my opinion that he should have been kicked off his course, all I'm doing is suggesting as to why the fitness to practice committee decided to eject him from his course.

In my profession I'm told by my professional body that I'm representing them at all times whether I'm at work or not, so I should treat every interaction with social-media as I would any other interaction with any form of media and act accordingly. So personally I would't say anything too controversial on social media that can be traced back to my profession and bring it into disrepute.

My bold towards the bottom=

He broke the code that social workers are supposed to follow and when thrown off the course he chucks his toys out of the pram and then starts saying he wonders wether Muslims in a similar situation would also be kicked off a course.

This guy is not social worker material....

Also agreed!

they haven't discriminated against him at all. they have prevented him from, possibly, damaging further vulnerable people because of his spiritual beliefs.

on the other hand, he must have been very well aware that his post was likely to be noticed and that it would have triggered the response it got. So he's probably deliberatly done it to generate some "christian victim" stories.

So a belief in God and the sins described in holy text are likely to cause further damage vulnerable people, I wonder what would happen if a social worker disliked racists and had to care for vulnerable racist, do you think their dislike of racists would affect their ability to care for the vulnerable racist?

Maybe not the end of the world, but Kim Davies should've resigned if they could not do the job as a public servant and Felix sets the precedent with quoting this on a public forum. A social worker will in their work come into contact with the LGBT community as any other and should have not any bias. Simple, do logic!

They will come into contact with all sorts of people including racists, and murders, criminals of all description, are you saying that a social worker can't do their job if they haven an adverse opinion of racists murders and criminals.

So a belief in God and the sins described in holy text are likely to cause further damage vulnerable people, I wonder what would happen if a social worker disliked racists and had to care for vulnerable racist, do you think their dislike of racists would affect their ability to care for the vulnerable racist?

if you read my post, i did say possibly, i dont know this person and i imagine that very few, if any, of the people on here do, so we don't know how he would behave.

maybe he could leave his beliefs in the office car park, maybe he couldn't. we have no way of knowing, though the committee who reviewed his case clearly felt that he couldn't.