University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

So you think that publicly alluding that homosexuality an abomination is professionally appropriate?

It was a quote form a book, the very book you will be asked to swear an oath over if you testify in court, if the book is in fact homophobic why does the British justice system still use it in courts. We have have people running the country that hold such beliefs.

They will come into contact with all sorts of people including racists, and murders, criminals of all description, are you saying that a social worker can't do their job if they haven an adverse opinion of racists murders and criminals.

How would a LGBT couple feel when dealing with fostering or adoption and been dealt with with by someone who is against their way of life and publicly supports those who object as well?

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:17 ----------

It was a quote form a book, the very book you will be asked to swear an oath over if you testify in court, if the book is in fact homophobic why does the British justice system still use it in courts. We have have people running the country that hold such beliefs.

A book where how many people can quote a verse? More people go/watch the footy than go to Church in a week!

Edited by S1 1DJ

Did he use social media as a positive platform for exchanging ideas and knowledge and to promote the social work profession?

Yes he was spreading the word of God, and no he didn't promote the social work profession.

Was his actions what you'd expect of an ambassador of social work?
I don't see anything wrong with his actions.

Listen, I'm not giving you my opinion that he should have been kicked off his course, all I'm doing is suggesting as to why the fitness to practice committee decided to eject him from his course.

And in doing so they appear to have broke their own rules.

In my profession I'm told by my professional body that I'm representing them at all times whether I'm at work or not, so I should treat every interaction with social-media as I would any other interaction with any form of media and act accordingly. So personally I would't say anything too controversial on social media that can be traced back to my profession and bring it into disrepute.

Its not controversial to have a belief in God and the sins described in the holy texts.

you only swear on the bible if you are christian, and anyway the vast majority of christians have a different understanding of the bible and yhwh.

if you read my post, i did say possibly, i dont know this person and i imagine that very few, if any, of the people on here do, so we don't know how he would behave.

maybe he could leave his beliefs in the office car park, maybe he couldn't. we have no way of knowing, though the committee who reviewed his case clearly felt that he couldn't.

Maybe is he had been preaching his bizarre beliefs during his lessons I would have come to the same conclusion, but he just quoted the bible in his own time on face book, and supported a man that was jailed for following his religious beliefs.

Maybe you could answer the questions?

• Was the quote professionally appropriate?
  • Did he use social media as a positive platform for exchanging ideas and knowledge?
  • Was he promoting the social work profession?
  • Was his actions what you'd expect of an ambassador of social work?

He was aware of the rules when he enrolled on the course and agreed to abide to them. So let's be clear, it was his actions of expressing the opinions in the domain that he did that caused the problem. He wasn't punished for having the views, he wouldn't have been punished if he had shared them in a professionally appropriate manner.

How would a LGBT couple feel when dealing with fostering or adoption and been dealt with with by someone who is against their way of life and publicly supports those who object as well?

I am a sinner in the eyes of the religious and I manage just fine to interact with them and they with me without it cause any friction.

A book where how many people can quote a verse? More people go/watch the footy than to a Church in a week!

But still there are 2.2 billion Christians on earth and if you include Islam that's over half the worlds population that think God exists. And God says (if you believe the books) that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin. So does that mean over half the worlds population can't be social workers.

I would have thought that most people that are anti-gay marriage would be religious. I can't think of a reason to oppose it on any other grounds other than religion.

I understand these countries -

Bulgaria

Italy

Latvia

Lithuania

Poland

Romania

Slovakia

do not allow gay marriage, not sure if its a matter of religion. We are meant to be a Christian country, but we allow it.

you only swear on the bible if you are christian, and anyway the vast majority of christians have a different understanding of the bible and yhwh.

Anyone can swear on it, and the Church of England Church that I had to endure has a child most definitely thought homosexually was a sin.