University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

Maybe you could answer the questions?

• Was the quote professionally appropriate?
  • Did he use social media as a positive platform for exchanging ideas and knowledge?
  • Was he promoting the social work profession?
  • Was his actions what you'd expect of an ambassador of social work?

Perhaps Christians would think so?

He was kicked off the course for having the views, it was because he expressed the views in a public forum.

I've not actually read anywhere it was a public post on his facebook page; it could have been a private post visible to only those people he wants to see it (his friends list). There is a marked difference.

I am a sinner in the eyes of the religious and I manage just fine to interact with them and they with me without it cause any friction.

But still there are 2.2 billion Christians on earth and if you include Islam that's over half the worlds population that think God exists. And God says (if you believe the books) that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin. So does that mean over half the worlds population can't be social workers.

He wasn't kicked off his course for believing that homosexuality was an abomination or even a sin, he was punished for eluding to it on social media.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:33 ----------

Perhaps Christians would think so?

It's not for Christian to decide, it was up to his professional body whether or not he had acted in an appropriate manner.

I am a sinner in the eyes of the religious and I manage just fine to interact with them and they with me without it cause any friction.

But still there are 2.2 billion Christians on earth and if you include Islam that's over half the worlds population that think God exists. And God says (if you believe the books) that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin. So does that mean over half the worlds population can't be social workers.

You just sidestepped my question. Are you just a wind up?

That's just like me saying there's 1.357 billion in China alone and it's a non-religious state.

Seems like you can't directly answer what other people are asking, indeed yes!

Edited by S1 1DJ
Typo

Yes he was spreading the word of God, and no he didn't promote the social work profession.

I don't see anything wrong with his actions.

And in doing so they appear to have broke their own rules.

Its not controversial to have a belief in God and the sins described in the holy texts.

Fine, so you disagree with the his professional body's findings, maybe you should contact him and represent him in any legal action.

Maybe you could answer the questions?

• Was the quote professionally appropriate?
  • Did he use social media as a positive platform for exchanging ideas and knowledge?
  • Was he promoting the social work profession?
  • Was his actions what you'd expect of an ambassador of social work?

He was aware of the rules when he enrolled on the course and agreed to abide to them. So let's be clear, it was his actions of expressing the opinions in the domain that he did that caused the problem. He wasn't punished for having the views, he wouldn't have been punished if he had shared them in a professionally appropriate manner.

It wasn't professionally inappropriate.

Yes he was exchanging ideas about his faith.

No

I would expect them to act appropriately at work and do what ever they like whilst not at work, proving that its not illegal.

What rule should he been aware of because the link you posted didn't have a rule that would prevent him posting bible quotes on face book.

perhaps you do, but I presume you are not in a position where you need the sort of things which social workers do and there are a great many, probably a majority, religious (and non religeious) types for whom a person's sexuality is not an issue.

Start your own thread then and don't digress this one.

I think it's quite related, we're discussing what are acceptable social media posts by university students and what are not. And my point was that Hallam university seems to have some double standards.

I understand these countries -

Bulgaria

Italy

Latvia

Lithuania

Poland

Romania

Slovakia

do not allow gay marriage, not sure if its a matter of religion. We are meant to be a Christian country, but we allow it.

But we don't force Christians to accept it, churches are under no obligation to marry a gay couple.

It wasn't professionally inappropriate.

Yes he was exchanging ideas about his faith.

No

I would expect them to act appropriately at work and do what ever they like whilst not at work, proving that its not illegal.

What rule should he been aware of because the link you posted didn't have a rule that would prevent him posting bible quotes on face book.

Unfortunately, as you've found out for many professions it doesn't work that way. Irrespective of your expectations, they expect you to act in a manner that does not bring their profession into disrepute, at all times, on or off duty.