University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

He wasn't kicked off his course for believing that homosexuality was an abomination or even a sin, he was punished for eluding to it on social media.

It's not for Christian to decide, it was up to his professional body whether or not he had acted in an appropriate manner.

You elude to it by simply saying you are a Christian or a Muslim.

I think it's quite related, we're discussing what are acceptable social media posts by university students and what are not. And my point was that Hallam university seems to have some double standards.

Different standards I'd suggest. Firstly was't the person who is the topic of this thread a student of the University of Sheffield, not Hallam University and secondly weren't they on a different course with different codes of conduct?

You just sidestepped my question. Are you just a wind up?

That's just like me saying there's 1.357 billion in China alone and it's a non-religious state.

Seems like you can't directly answer what other people are asking, indeed yes!

I can only answer for me, I couldn't possibly know what every gay person on earth would think so I can't answer for them all.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:41 ----------

Fine, so you disagree with the his professional body's findings, maybe you should contact him and represent him in any legal action.

Yes I disagree but I won't loose any sleep over it.

Different standards I'd suggest. Firstly was't the person who is the topic of this thread a student of the University of Sheffield, not Hallam University and secondly weren't they on a different course with different codes of conduct?

Yes, I agree, my bad, thanks for pointing it!

You elude to it by simply saying you are a Christian or a Muslim.

Rubbish.

You cannot believe everything that it says in the Bible, simply because some of it contradicts other parts of it. So every Christian cherrypicks what parts they are going to follow, and how strictly that they are going to follow it.

I've met plenty of Christians who would reject strongly the notion that homosexuality was an abomination.

I can only answer for me, I couldn't possibly know what every gay person on earth would think so I can't answer for them all.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:41 ----------

Yes I disagree but I won't loose any sleep over it.

Still you could look at this objectively. I can.

perhaps you do, but I presume you are not in a position where you need the sort of things which social workers do and there are a great many, probably a majority, religious (and non religeious) types for whom a person's sexuality is not an issue.

Do you know anyone that doesn't have issues with an other persons beliefs, life style, actions, opinions, suppose a social worker that doesn't like racists has to deal with a racist, do you think they will manage to act appropriately? or should people that dislike racist also be barred from social work?

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:48 ----------

Unfortunately, as you've found out for many professions it doesn't work that way. Irrespective of your expectations, they expect you to act in a manner that does not bring their profession into disrepute, at all times, on or off duty.

In what why did he bring the profession into disrepute?

I would say the profession have now brought themselves into disrepute by discriminating against him because of his religious beliefs.

Edited by sutty27

It wasn't professionally inappropriate.

Yes he was exchanging ideas about his faith.

No

I would expect them to act appropriately at work and do what ever they like whilst not at work, proving that its not illegal.

If he did something illegal, would he also get thrown out, I dont believe being anti-gay is illegal. If that is the case, they would need to be squeaky clean.

In what why did he bring the profession into disrepute?

I was answering your comment where you said - I would expect them to act appropriately at work and do what ever they like whilst not at work, proving that its not illegal. As I said many in many professions it doesn't work that way.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that that is the way that is is.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:53 ----------

I would say the profession have now brought themselves into disrepute by discriminating against him because of his religious beliefs.

Fine, we'll have to disagree.