University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

Do you know anyone that doesn't have issues with an other persons beliefs, life style, actions, opinions, suppose a social worker that doesn't like racists has to deal with a racist, do you think they will manage to act appropriately? or should people that dislike racist also be barred from social work?

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 21:48 ----------

In what why did he bring the profession into disrepute?

I would say the profession have now brought themselves into disrepute by discriminating against him because of his religious beliefs.[/QUOTE]

But they haven't.

Rubbish.

You cannot believe everything that it says in the Bible, simply because some of it contradicts other parts of it. So every Christian cherrypicks what parts they are going to follow, and how strictly that they are going to follow it.

I've met plenty of Christians who would reject strongly the notion that homosexuality was an abomination.

I don't believe any of it, but it is the book of Christians and it does say that homosexuality is an abomination and we do use it it courts of law. If the book isn't illegal then quoting from it can't be wrong.

You wouldn't accept a race supremacist, you shouldn't accept a homophobe. Religion doesn't come into it.

Being homophobic is no different to being racist for social workers. They are expected to protect vulnerable people no matter who or what they are.

I don't believe any of it, but it is the book of Christians and it does say that homosexuality is an abomination and we do use it it courts of law. If the book isn't illegal then quoting from it can't be wrong.

Doesn't the bible advocate stoning people to death for blaspheming?

If he did something illegal, would he also get thrown out, I dont believe being anti-gay is illegal. If that is the case, they would need to be squeaky clean.

Probably not which is a bit odd.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 22:06 ----------

You wouldn't accept a race supremacist, you shouldn't accept a homophobe. Religion doesn't come into it.

Being homophobic is no different to being racist for social workers. They are expected to protect vulnerable people no matter who or what they are.

What if the vulnerable person is a racist?

Can a social worker dislike racists, if so how will they ever manage to deal with a vulnerable racist that needs a social worker?

Does it. Where is that quote exactly?

Oh for the record, the Bible is just one of many items that people can swear in a court of law, including the ability to affirm if a person is non religious.

Its content is not taken literally. Even religious leaders treat it as an interpretation.

You are still missing the clear fact about this incident. The student PUBLICALLY posted comments on a media source which some would find inappropriate / offensive and unacceptable. That act of PUBLICALLY posting his opinion was against very clear and very set codes of conduct for his chosen profession.

He broke the rules and that's the end of the matter.

What he personally and privately thinks is his business. He can believe in god, believe in Button Moon for all people care. However, as soon as he CHOOSES to express those in a public forum its a totally different matter.

That action instantly shows a potential bias, lack of judgement, lack of trust from service users and colleagues, lack of understanding for other views and a lack of independence which can be fatal to a career and/or the reputation of the Department concerned.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Probably not which is a bit odd.

---------- Post added 29-02-2016 at 22:06 ----------

What if the vulnerable person is a racist?

Can a social worker dislike racists, if so how will they ever manage to deal with a vulnerable racist that needs a social worker?

I think social workers effectively support lots of people with different views, many of which they disagree with. They just don't post about it on Facebook.

I'll bet that some social workers may have personal views which are discriminatory; I think part of being professional is recognising those views as your own, and not letting them interfere with your practice.