No pension till mid 70-s

The new state pension launches this April, let's see how that goes. I've a feeling a lot of people are in for a shock. Once again Cameron was spouting proudly about everyone getting

an across the board £155 a week, when nothing could be further from the truth.

And then there's the budget in a couple of weeks....that should be interesting. I wonder if he'll find another few £million down the back of the sofa again. Personally, I wouldn't bank on it this time....

Only one problem with footballers, they earn far too much brass and contribute little to the economy of the Nation. Although with the amount of brass they "earn" I cannot see any of them having to worry about a couple of hundred quid a week pension.

Angel1.

While I agree that some footballers are grossly overpaid, the game of 'professional football' particularly, contributes significantly to the economy in terms of taxation and employment at the clubs themselves, within TV and the media, then there's the merchandise, advertising, drinking, gambling, food retail etc ..etc ..

Hoping I'm dead by my mid 70s anyway. ?

Let me tell you, when you hit 70 you won't.

Retraining for the elderly??

I went on a on Photoshop evening course a couple of years ago and was the eldest "student" by at least 20 years and at the most 50.

Now, I'm not stupid and had a job that had a lot of manual skill and intellectual input BUT it was pretty obvious to me my learning ability had reduced dramatically compared to the others.

I got there in the end but a darn sight slower than the lad next to me.

Who is going to retrain a 65 -70 year old when they can get a 18-20year old up to speed a sight quicker??

Edited by davyboy

I don't expect that I'll get to my retirement age, whether that's 60 or 70, which is fine because I've still survived an awful lot longer than I was projected to. I've kept paying in to my pension all through being ill, but I just can't save very much, so in the event that I survive that long I expect to be in penury. Hey ho, at least I'll be alive to experience it :)

Let me tell you, when you hit 70 you won't.

Retraining for the elderly??

I went on a on Photoshop evening course a couple of years ago and was the eldest "student" by at least 20 years and at the most 50.

Now, I'm not stupid and had a job that had a lot of manual skill and intellectual input BUT it was pretty obvious to me my learning ability had reduced dramatically compared to the others.

I got there in the end but a darn sight slower than the lad next to me.

Who is going to retrain a 65 -70 year old when they can get a 18-20year old up to speed a sight quicker??

There are a lot of vacancies in the market. If it's a choice for an employer between employing somebody older and not getting the job done, it's a bit of a no brainer for them.

Besides, you'd be surprised how much of an advantage experience can be, even if it's in a quite different field.

I am only 54 and I went for a wee 9 times yesterday, my shoulder hurts if I try to throw the dogs ball too far. I feel old ;)

I am sure things work related will get harder, but I am hoping I will always find work.

Just to lighten the post somewhat, I went for a wee 6 times yesterday and that was inside an hour, and I'm only 66. Welcome to getting old.

Angel1.

Just to lighten the post somewhat, I went for a wee 6 times yesterday and that was inside an hour, and I'm only 66. Welcome to getting old.

Angel1.

You call that humour ;)

Only one problem with footballers, they earn far too much brass and contribute little to the economy of the Nation.

But at least that is pure capitalism at work.

You call that humour ;)

But at least that is pure capitalism at work.

One thing capitalism isn't, is 'pure'

---------- Post added 05-03-2016 at 02:09 ----------

There are a lot of vacancies in the market. If it's a choice for an employer between employing somebody older and not getting the job done, it's a bit of a no brainer for them.

Besides, you'd be surprised how much of an advantage experience can be, even if it's in a quite different field.

Oh I agree. Unfortunately most employers don't....

Only one problem with footballers, they earn far too much brass and contribute little to the economy of the Nation. Although with the amount of brass they "earn" I cannot see any of them having to worry about a couple of hundred quid a week pension.

Angel1.

I agree their wages are extreme and it does feel kind of wrong but they are receiving vast sums which a lot of them spend quite freely.

They didn't however contribute to near decimating our GDP between 2008-10 like the bankers did. Goodwin did. He was a huge cog in the machine that caused financial disaster.

To compare him to footballers is pretty dumb.