No pension till mid 70-s

so you send me a link to a jobsite with no specific job description that you described :loopy: come on you can do better than that if these jobs are everywhere as you say :roll: unless its your job your describing which is ?oh and btw I work in construction

It's a vast listing of a huge range of non-manual jobs.

You're grasping at straws now.

Unless you're unable to fathom indeed's search engine?

I'm a computer systems engineer and a physicist. Took a lot of hard work at school and 7 years at university.

My boss used to work construction. Spent about 20 years doing it.

Then went off and got trained up. Became a physicist. Now sits behind a desk.

Edited by unbeliever

I am only 54 and I went for a wee 9 times yesterday, my shoulder hurts if I try to throw the dogs ball too far. I feel old ;)

I am sure things work related will get harder, but I am hoping I will always find work.

I know what you mean, as a population we are generally healthier at a greater age than previous generations. We have been better fed. Fewer people do have physically hard and dangerous jobs, and modern medicine can treat many ailments that would have seen us off in our 50s and 60s.

We are much better at dealing with age related sight and hearing loss, and we can replace joints that wear out, but they still wear out, and we still suffer worse sight and hearing as we get older. We still become frailer, our bone density decreases, our cells function less well, we gather aches and pains, our brain function starts going downhill. Regenerative medicine is still in its infancy. Even without dementia, we are less sharp. There was a study recently that said that brain function starts to decrease after the age of 27 (not by much, the marked decline seems to start at about 65).

I'm not trying to say that after a certain age, everyone's past it, far from it. But I thing that for many people working full time into their 70s would be quite difficult to cope with.

The more I think about it, the better having the choice to go part time after a certain age makes sense. At the moment you can ask to go part time if you have caring responsibilities (I think that's right?). How about we extend the option to reduce hours to the over 60s?

Yes, all of this I agree with. Supporting people to go part-time after a certain age seems like an extremely sensible idea.

I am only 54 and I went for a wee 9 times yesterday, my shoulder hurts if I try to throw the dogs ball too far. I feel old ;)

I am sure things work related will get harder, but I am hoping I will always find work.

You and I have discussed this before.

You said I think that you were considering training opportunities. Did anything come of that?

You're grasping at straws now.

Unless you're unable to fathom indeed's search engine?

I'm a computer systems engineer and a physicist. Took a lot of hard work at school and 7 years at university.

My boss used to work construction. Spent about 20 years doing it.

Then went off and got trained up. Became a physicist. Now sits behind a desk.

whats the hours of work that you do ? whats your salary? if you don't want to answer this for your self whats your mates hours and salary :hihi:

whats the hours of work that you do ? whats your salary? if you don't want to answer this for your self whats your mates hours and salary :hihi:

My hours are reasonably flexible. My pay is enough that I have zero chance of any kind of means tested benefits. I don't really think you need to know any more than that.

It's certainly a lot easier physically than construction, and a hell of a lot better paid and physically easier than what our ancestors had to do before industrialisation and then computerisation.

Why is his salary and job hours relevant? Just trying to understand where you are coming from that's all. There are thousands of non-manual jobs available UK wide, but clearly you might need to move to get them or retrain. That's unbeliever's point, that if you wanted to move from a manual job into non-manual you could do so with a small amount of effort.

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

I would suggest that people over 60 are assessed for fitness for work, but the state is rather bad at such assessments.

That's the problem. I could see that if there is no pension until 70 (let's say), there'll be a significant number of people who would struggle to carry on to that age. Will we see a rise in disability claims? Wouldn't that cause a lot of admin costs? What about people who are assessed fit to work, but are just too worn out to cope? Or can't manage to keep up mentally?

I really don't want to sound like I'm writing people off. Many, many people are fit as a fiddle and sharp as a tack well into older age. But many aren't, and I worry that they'll be made to jump through benefits hoops, be made to feel like scroungers. I also worry about my own employment prospects as time goes on. There's evidence to show that people in their 50s, especially women, are overlooked in the jobs market.