No pension till mid 70-s

Why is his salary and job hours relevant? Just trying to understand where you are coming from that's all. There are thousands of non-manual jobs available UK wide, but clearly you might need to move to get them or retrain. That's unbeliever's point, that if you wanted to move from a manual job into non-manual you could do so with a small amount of effort.

kate in a earlier thread he said this "In general: people work fewer hours, at less physically demanding jobs, for more reward. This is surely a good thing" now I asked him where these jobs were and that's the reason I asked of his employment which he has replied to but left out the hours he works and the salary (funny that if he works less hours and more reward )

kate in a earlier thread he said this "In general: people work fewer hours, at less physically demanding jobs, for more reward. This is surely a good thing" now I asked him where these jobs were and that's the reason I asked of his employment which he has replied to but left out the hours he works and the salary (funny that if he works less hours and more reward )

You quoted the words "in general" but failed to read them apparently.

Salary is misleading. You want to look at total remuneration.

I also have reasonable stability which is of great value.

This is all off-point anyway.

Get a white-collar job and you won't fear working a few extra years.

What do you plan to do with yourself when you can't handle the physical strain of construction any more?

Edited by unbeliever

You quoted the words "in general" but failed to read them apparently.

Salary is misleading. You want to look at total remuneration.

I also have reasonable stability which is of great value.

still not answered :roll: but hey if that's how you feel (your choice)

still not answered :roll: but hey if that's how you feel (your choice)

I have answered your question. Explain why you want to know and I'll consider being more specific. I also answered your previous question.

You've still not answered my question:

Do you want to go work in a field for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and get paid literally barely enough to live on?

That's what people had to do before industrialisation and then computerisation.

I have answered your question. Explain why you want to know and I'll consider being more specific. I also answered your previous question.

You've still not answered my question:

Do you want to go work in a field for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and get paid literally barely enough to live on?

That's what people had to do before industrialisation and then computerisation.

no I don't want to work in a field so are you now saying these jobs have all disappeared and machines do all the work :roll: think carefully before you answer this :hihi:

---------- Post added 03-03-2016 at 11:43 ----------

How is this to be funded?

not your business :hihi:

no I don't want to work in a field so are you now saying these jobs have all disappeared and machines do all the work :roll: think carefully before you answer this :hihi:

Of course the machines don't do "all" the work.

They do a hell of a lot of it though.

When was the last time you saw a field full a knackered people swinging scythes around?

---------- Post added 03-03-2016 at 11:45 ----------

not your business :hihi:

But my salary is your business apparently. :loopy:

Employers seem to think older people are less capable and too old. People on their 50s are experiencing great difficulties in finding jobs, and over 60s find it almost impossible. There's a whole raft of people who have had to give up hard physical jobs, but can't find other employment.

What are these people supposed to do for money until they are 70? (They are usually not eligible for benefits because they have savings.)

Employers seem to think older people are less capable and too old. People on their 50s are experiencing great difficulties in finding jobs, and over 60s find it almost impossible. There's a whole raft of people who have had to give up hard physical jobs, but can't find other employment.

What are these people supposed to do for money until they are 70? (They are usually not eligible for benefits because they have savings.)

They should be encouraged to train up for the jobs that the economy creates.

If you're doing a physically demanding job, odds are that you're under-trained.