Free movement of people

Yes, they made a statement about the effects of EU membership (or non membership) on human rights. And you (tried to) counter it with a statement about an entirely separate institution.

I assure you, I'm keeping up :)

They said "Erosion of our human rights" and I responded "that's a good thing."

Then I was asked why it would be a good thing.

You are clearly not keeping up.

Edited by sutty27

Dear Brexit,

How do we seal our land border with the EU?

Annie....Are you ready to welcome Turkey into the European Union? Food for thought for all you stayers.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 19:15 ----------

Which UK company?

The Hitachi deal disappointed many as the IEP deal involves assembling the IEP trains from imported mainly Japanese parts. This is reflected in the type, size and employee skill set of the assembly plant

They have indicated that future Hitachi deals will involve building another factory to construct trains from mainly UK bits.

They have an eye on the EU market as after the recession many of the European builders are badly set for the large contracts for refurbishment and manufacture.

The Japanese like the UK despite the geographical disadvantage, but as their government says exiting will put UK manufacturing at a disadvantage and their are plenty of countries that would welcome them

As the Swiss an Norwegian manufacturers repeat, they are at a disadvantage because:

they have no say in manufacturing standards.

they have no say in business and commercial standards.

they have no say in changes in EU foreign policy that affects their business.

this uncertainty affects borrowing ability, credit an inward investment.

which in turn means jobs.

Hitachi will be a significant employer in South Yorkshire it could be much, much bigger creating a much stronger and high value manufacturing base.

Brexit jobs.

But right up there for being great countries to reside in.

It prevents us from deporting some very dangerous people.

A couple of thousand foreign nationals convicted of criminal offences in the UK appeal against being deported every year, and every year a few hundred appeals are granted under human rights laws.

Britain is powerless to deport thousands of illegal immigrants, a Home Office minister admitted yesterday.

I agree it's not ideal but you are more likely to die crossing the street than be a victim of one of those people.

Sorry, but it's an awful argument that 65 million people should have their rights removed so we can deal with a couple of thousand. It makes no rational sense at all.

It's funny how the brexit camp sees the EU as motivated by pure evil, just wanting to take away our sovereignty, until we leave, at which point they suddenly become our servants, desperate to give us our every whim on a plate.

How naive can you get? In or out of the EU, every other country is going to be motivated by its own national interests, rather than ours. As soon as we are out, we will have a much poorer hand when it comes to bargaining.

You say you shouldn't have to choose a safer position because someone might shove you over - well it's fine to argue what you shouldn't have to do, but they probably will do.

OK, maybe that is a bit of an extreme metaphor. Maybe it's more like being involved in organising a lifeguard station, then saying "this is all too much of a hassle having to work around you lot, I abdicate my responsibility to all of you, but btw, I'm just going to swim out as far as I can; and when I get tired, you'll come and rescue me, yeah?"

Now where in Europe have we as a nation been called upon for such a comment? (my bold) Hmm. You're all doom and gloom. Be a devil and take the plunge.;)

I agree it's not ideal but you are more likely to die crossing the street than be a victim of one of those people.

Sorry, but it's an awful argument that 65 million people should have their rights removed so we can deal with a couple of thousand. It makes no rational sense at all.

Correct but they increase my chance of being killed, what rights do you think you would lose in order to have the power to deport criminals and terrorists and illegal immigrants?

Really, is that the best you can do? We'll exit and make absolutely no predictions about what the large-scale consequences will be? So, for example - currently we have a hand (commensurate to our size) in the process of deciding what trading in the majority of Europe - the largest trading bloc in the world - would be like; and you're happy for us to say, "yes, you guys all decide what's best for you amongst yourselves, based on what's best for your 12 trillion euro GDP; meanwhile we'll do our own thing and then we'll meet up with you and we'll decide how to match our 2.5 trillion Euro stake with yours and see who backs down. And then at the end of it, you'll pat yourself on the back and congratulate ourselves that we are no longer ruled by Brussels."

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 15:53 ----------

No, we don't have the oil that they do in order to be comparatively self-reliant.

Norway has never been reliant on oil revenues to run a strong economy. Well, not until quite recently.....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/norway-oil-price-sovereign-wealth-fund-rainy-day-fund-first-time-a6916971.html

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Correct but they increase my chance of being killed, what rights do you think you would lose in order to have the power to deport criminals and terrorists and illegal immigrants?

How much more likely are you to be killed?

We can't say what rights we would lose. The people that want to repeal the human rights act haven't told us that bit. You like these leaps in the dark don't you?

Norway has never been reliant on oil revenues to have a strong economy. Well, not until quite recently.....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/norway-oil-price-sovereign-wealth-fund-rainy-day-fund-first-time-a6916971.html

You obviously either haven't read, or else haven't understood, that article. It's saying that because their current oil revenues are small they are having to use the sovereign wealth fund built up from their past surplus. So the opposite conclusion to the one you drew.

How much more likely are you to be killed?

We can't say what rights we would lose. The people that want to repeal the human rights act haven't told us that bit. You like these leaps in the dark don't you?

Not much more likely, but it is very likely that someone will be killed by someone that was protected by human rights legislation, and that bothers me. Someone will be injured or robbed by someone that was protected by human rights legislation and that bothers me. Someone will be out of work because some illegal immigrant that should have been deported is working illegally and that bothers me.

Ho and you didn't answer the question.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 19:47 ----------

Back on topic Angela is proposing we give 85m muslim turks visa free travel to the EU (plus billions more in cash) in exchange for taking back some illegals.

A better plan would be just to ship them all back and dump them in Turkey.