My nominated idiots of the day

Well it's proving hard to get back to the original topic but I'm partly responsible for that.

My choice is to continue to keep in the left hand lane.

I am quite conversant with merging traffic having travelled up and down the A roads and motorways of Britain for 40 years or so.It generally works pretty well because given warning most drivers choose to find appropriate gaps given to them by other drivers.

The A64 is a good example with various alternating stretches of dual and single carriageway and the only stoppages occur when the drivers who decide that they will travel as far as possible in the narrowing lane stop the slower flow in the other lane and find that they have to force their way in.

This isn't merging traffic as intended just impatient bullying driving like the guy with the land rover.

The difference here is that most drivers on this particular road are fully aware that the road goes into a single lane well before the 300 and 150 signs but tear up as far as the hatchlings and then cut in.

Thanks for quoting rule 134 which is certainly not conclusive.

Driving is all about anticipation and if you can't anticipate a backing up of traffic fair enough.

Hello O mysterious one, weerz tha been?

Dont need a map Cyclone, i drive up that road everyday!

But thanks all the same ;)

Not everyone does though. I wasn't sure where the change was.

Of course most people will still be doing 40 as they reach the 30 sign, so no need to accelerate past 30 to overtake, they just continue on.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 09:48 ----------

I've never understood people cutting in on roundabouts, it's the one place you get a second (or third, fourth, fith, etc.) chance to exit in the correct lane, you just have to go around the roundabout fully.

The one that was mentioned, top of Broad Lane, they've misused the wrong lane on purpose and think they can get to the exit ahead of whoever is in the correct lane.

As you say, they could use the wrong lane and do a full circuit of the roundabout without actually breaking any rules.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3819949,-1.4824487,3a,75y,228.45h,71.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-DmPKePvqKYoJrUAf3h-zw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The reason they do it is that the A61 lane often has a much shorter queue than the other 2 lanes, and much of the traffic in the middle lane goes up Brook Hill and not Bolsover Street.

Not everyone does though. I wasn't sure where the change was.

Of course most people will still be doing 40 as they reach the 30 sign, so no need to accelerate past 30 to overtake, they just continue on.

Let those that use that section of the road on a daily basis tell you that what i am saying is right... people PURPOSELY speed up to get in front, not at a continued speed but accelerate then slam their brakes on..

No, that's just being assertive as to your road position. If someone decideds that they are going to go for a gap and block me out it'll upset them a lot more than it upsets me - but thats their choice to argue with my spiky bumper

Which of course is how you are meant to do it but you queue if you wish and block traffic up. :D

It's entirely conclusive but if you are unable to comprehend it that's not really my problem (references back to landrover..)

Re bib. The conclusion from rule 134 is that merge in turn applies in unusual circumstances such as roadworks or incidents. There's nothing to indicate that it applies in "normal" two lanes into one situations. Where the authorities wish merge in turn to be followed in normal conditions, they put up a sign to say so.

That's not so hard for you to comprehend, is it?

Duplicate post.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 10:13 ----------

Let those that use that section of the road on a daily basis tell you that what i am saying is right... people PURPOSELY speed up to get in front, not at a continued speed but accelerate then slam their brakes on..

I use it often enough, although it's not my preferred route to the motorway and I haven't noticed it.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 10:16 ----------

Re bib. The conclusion from rule 134 is that merge in turn applies in unusual circumstances such as roadworks or incidents. There's nothing to indicate that it applies in "normal" two lanes into one situations. Where the authorities wish merge in turn to be followed in normal conditions, they put up a sign to say so.

Who concluded that? It gives examples of an accident or roadworks, but also says not to change lanes unnecessarily. Getting in a queue simply because it's there is an unnecessary (and stupid) lane change.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

There are no signs or markings to tell you to get into a queue, so continue to use the right hand lane if it is clear, until the hatchings and signs tell you to merge into the left hand lane. If it's busy then the traffic will by definition be travelling at a low speed appropriate for MIT.

It gives as an example that roadworks etc are where you should merge in turn due to low speeds. It doesnt say that exclusively. I see no reason for you to be so rude either, considering how you are also wrong.

It gives as an example that roadworks etc are where you should merge in turn due to low speeds. It doesnt say that exclusively. I see no reason for you to be so rude either, considering how you are also wrong.

I was following your example of questioning another poster's understanding, particularly when your conclusion was wrong. Pots and kettles come to mind.

Your claim regarding the conclusion was simply unjustified. The ONLY examples given were unusual situations. There was nothing to indicate that merge in turn is appropriate in non-unusual, ie normal conditions. If it were expected under normal circumstances, don't you think that the HC would have said so? The reason they didn't say so is because the chose not to. You are reading something into rule 134 that simply isn't there.

That's not to say that people shouldn't merge in turn in more normal situations, its just that rule 134 does not advise people to, contrary to your assertion.

It always seems odd to me that the highway code only talks about merge in turn in temporary situations such as road works or a traffic incident. The implication being that it doesn't apply in "normal" situations. This is then supported by the occasional use of merge in turn signs - again implying an exception to a norm of NOT merging in turn.

---------- Post added 09-03-2016 at 20:05 ----------

But you're not supposed to start an overtaking manoeuvre unless you know you can complete it. How do you know you can complete it if the lane to your left is nose to tail?

How do you differentiate between somebody overtaking and somebody just using the other lane and then merging where it tells you to?

Rule 134 seems quite clear to me and I don't know how you can interpret that as only applying in rare circumstances??

Perhaps it's easier to understand without the examples:

Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed.

It is not recommended at high speed.