My nominated idiots of the day

But you're not supposed to start an overtaking manoeuvre unless you know you can complete it. How do you know you can complete it if the lane to your left is nose to tail?

It's not overtaking!! It is passing traffic in a faster lane! It's using the road that it was intended for! The pinch point is half mile away. If traffic was intended to merge half mile away then road signs and markings would state it!

Read the highway code! I can't understand licence holders who queue in an unnecessary position :loopy: use the road that is available then zip fashion into the designated lane. What's hard about that?

Of course it's overtaking ....with nowhere to go.

I've driven on it twice today,as usual.

Even at the peak time the only place I came to a halt was approaching this merging point.

Once onto the single road the traffic moved constantly between 10 to 20 mph to the roundabout.

I purposely left a substantial gap at the 150 yard marker and one car actually indicated left and moved into it...and acknowledged me.

Many more were only intent on getting to the furthest point they could before making that move.

That is why the traffic comes to a full stop.

Exactly the same happens on motorways when the lanes go down from 3 to 2 or 1.

Despite ample warning a log jam of traffic occurs as some drivers have to go to the utmost point before moving over.

Once again the traffic might move albeit slowly through the restriction but it does move.

I will say once again that the majority of drivers prefer to stick with it in the left lane and there can be no criticism of this choice.

Driving is all about anticipation including anticipating when someone is about to change lanes.

:loopy: use the road that is available then zip fashion into the designated lane. What's hard about that?

Zip fashion works where zip fashion is signed and its not signed on the Mosborough bypass. The two lane sections are on an incline so smaller faster vehicles can get past larger slower vehicles. If you go past lots of cars with no where to pull in its not zip fashion is it?

About that two lanes uphill.

Some countries in Europe have minimum speed set for inner lane of uphill sections.

So all slow traffic must stick to outside lane.

Anyone saw one anywhere in UK?

Yes quite a few. They are called crawler lanes and whether mosborough Parkway is one has got me thinking. The ones I know of off the top of my head are on the m5 near Bristol as there's a couple of steep hills, but these are marked as crawler lanes on a sign. I'm sure there is another one on the way to Manchester on either snakes pass or woodhead.

I've driven on it twice today,as usual.

Even at the peak time the only place I came to a halt was approaching this merging point.

Once onto the single road the traffic moved constantly between 10 to 20 mph to the roundabout.

I purposely left a substantial gap at the 150 yard marker and one car actually indicated left and moved into it...and acknowledged me.

Many more were only intent on getting to the furthest point they could before making that move.

That is why the traffic comes to a full stop.

Exactly the same happens on motorways when the lanes go down from 3 to 2 or 1.

Despite ample warning a log jam of traffic occurs as some drivers have to go to the utmost point before moving over.

Once again the traffic might move albeit slowly through the restriction but it does move.

I will say once again that the majority of drivers prefer to stick with it in the left lane and there can be no criticism of this choice.

Driving is all about anticipation including anticipating when someone is about to change lanes.

The high way code says this:

7. Multi-lane carriageways (133 to 143)

Lane discipline

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Single carriageway

Where a single carriageway has three lanes and the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction

use the middle lane only for overtaking or turning right. Remember, you have no more right to use the middle lane than a driver coming from the opposite direction

do not use the right-hand lane.

Where a single carriageway has four or more lanes, use only the lanes that signs or markings indicate.

Rule 135 seems to suggest that if a second lane is dedicated, rather than shared, you can drive normally in it rather than just overtake.

Coming off the Parkway, it's only overtaking because your "90%" chooses to sit in the 1st lane and block up the Parkway.

If people used both lanes the traffic would flow at the same (or similar) rate, eradicating overtaking and freeing up the Parkway.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 09:16 ----------

He's right on this, there are 'get over' arrows starting at 300yds from the lane merge and then another set at 150yds. However, it doesn't mean you HAVE to merge at that point, just that you should start thinking about it, so a half decent driver would start looking for a gap to pull into that would minimise any impact to traffic flow on the inside lane regardless of whether that lane is queuing or flowing freely.

No, there aren't.

The 'get over' arrows, as you call them, first appear at about 100 yards from the merge point. You can check on street view if you like.

Edited by RootsBooster

About that two lanes uphill.

Some countries in Europe have minimum speed set for inner lane of uphill sections.

So all slow traffic must stick to outside lane.

Anyone saw one anywhere in UK?

A34 coming north from Newbury is the only one I can think of.

Well, one option would be:

if it wasn't already backed up close to the junction, then you can join at the back. if its at the junction, then use the other lane.

A better option would be "use whichever lane has a shorter queue".

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 10:59 ----------

So if you use the 2nd or 3rd lane on a busy motorway then you're overtaking with nowhere to go.

Everyone should get into the 1st lane, because otherwise they are simply queue jumping the vehicles in that lane... :roll: