My nominated idiots of the day

Zip fashion works where zip fashion is signed and its not signed on the Mosborough bypass. The two lane sections are on an incline so smaller faster vehicles can get past larger slower vehicles. If you go past lots of cars with no where to pull in its not zip fashion is it?

It works both ways, if the majority of people are going to queue in one lane rather than use both, it's not zip fashion is it?

A better option would be "use whichever lane has a shorter queue".

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 10:59 ----------

So if you use the 2nd or 3rd lane on a busy motorway then you're overtaking with nowhere to go.

Everyone should get into the 1st lane, because otherwise they are simply queue jumping the vehicles in that lane... :roll:

Well you've lost me again.Usingthe second or 3rd lane on a motorway is quite normal for overtaking slower moving traffic in normal traffic.

This assumes that you will move back towards the immediate LH lane when it is safe to do so.

The situation I described is when there is a reduction in the number of lanes and adequate warning is given.

Drivers who anticipate will slow down and get into the free lane accordingly.

Others will maintain the maximum speed they can,passing slow moving or stationery traffic until they can get no further.

A line of traffic could have proceeded at a reduced speed but instead is brought to a full stop by the bottleneck .

Once you are in the single lane traffic starts to move again.

You must have experienced this and was the reason that many HGV drivers would drive in tandem to try to educate others.

Unfortunately this only led to further road rage with the impatient ones jockeying left and Ishtar to overtake or undertake the blocking manoeuvre.

A better option would be "use whichever lane has a shorter queue".

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 10:59 ----------

So if you use the 2nd or 3rd lane on a busy motorway then you're overtaking with nowhere to go.

Everyone should get into the 1st lane, because otherwise they are simply queue jumping the vehicles in that lane... :roll:

Actively creating two lanes of queuing traffic when not necessary, just so you are able to merge in turn. I don't recall the HC advocating that bit of nonsense.

2 lanes of queuing traffic which then merge in turn will certainly not be quicker and will probably be slower than a single lane that doesn't need to merge.

Actively creating two lanes of queuing traffic when not necessary, just so you are able to merge in turn. I don't recall the HC advocating that bit of nonsense.

Actively creating two lanes to avoid traffic backing up onto junctions/roundabouts, etc.

2 lanes of queuing traffic which then merge in turn will certainly not be quicker and will probably be slower than a single lane that doesn't need to merge.

You appear to have invented some new laws of physics that enable you to come up with that theory, please do explain your thinking :suspect:

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 13:47 ----------

I've sorted it for you...

A line of traffic could have proceeded at a reduced speed but instead is brought to a full stop by the bottleneck people in the first lane trying to block mergers out, unhappy that others have used the empty lane trying to help keep the traffic flow moving earlier on, causing a stalemate at the merge point.

Once you are in the single lane traffic starts to move again.

Drivers who anticipate will slow down and get into the free lane accordingly.

Others will maintain the maximum speed they can,passing slow moving or stationery traffic until they can get no further..

I fall into the first category, I see the signs, anticipate and begin to slow then get into the free lane around the merge point, accordingly.

I think it has to be said, as much as there are the morons who don't understand that both lanes would be better off used and try to block others out, there are morons who abuse the empty lane and use it as a drag strip to get to the end. Neither of these people do anything to improve road relations.

What do people suggest the empty lane is used for then? Perhaps a game of cricket or Frisbee throwing?

It's part of the highway and costs the taxpayer money so why not use it in a lawful way?

Actively creating two lanes to avoid traffic backing up onto junctions/roundabouts, etc.

You appear to have invented some new laws of physics that enable you to come up with that theory, please do explain your thinking :suspect:

If you have passed the junction already, you aren't going to block it. If by joining the back of the queue you block the junction, then you don't do it. You either wait before the junction, or use the other lane. This bit of thread related to a claim that the driver doesn't know if the junction is going to be blocked. My point is that he doesn't need to. If he's not blocking it himself, then he needn't worry.

If traffic is in single file, say at 5 mph. Each driver leaves what he considers to be a safe distance behind the car in front. Let's assume its 6 ft. So each car takes up a car length plus 6ft. Regardless of whether they were always in single file or merged from two lanes, they pass through the single file section exactly the same, ie one car length plus 6 ft. So on that basis, it doesn't matter whether they were always in a single lane or came from 2 lanes. However, in coming from 2 lanes into one, each driver has to readjust the space he is leaving in front of him. This can never be perfect, so the drivers will finish up having to make minor adjustments in order to get back to the one car length plus 6 ft length. Those adjustments will result in minor delays. On that basis, two lanes into one will never be quicker, but it may be a little slower.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 14:07 ----------

What do people suggest the empty lane is used for then? Perhaps a game of cricket or Frisbee throwing?

It's part of the highway and costs the taxpayer money so why not use it in a lawful way?

Overtaking, or possibly turning right.

If by joining the back of the queue you block the junction, then you don't do it.

Easier said that done. Sadly common sense and courtesy goes out of the window when people get behind the wheel. I've lost count at the number of times idiots have blocked the roundabout at the Mosborough bypass near Asda Handsworth.

How I do not miss driving into Sheffield on the Mosborough Parkway. For my two penneth, if both lanes were queued up to the pinch point, traffic would be moving just as fast along the whole road as if everyone queued in the first lane. The only difference would be that you were in a shorter queue so the queue itself would be slower.

At the end of the day though, the road should be a dual carriageway but thanks to the stupid council, they made the road 1 meter too narrow to allow for this. Hilarious still is the fact that a lot of queuing is caused as a result of people slip lane running along the parkway because it is usually quicker than staying on the parkway and therefore blocking the roundabout at the top.