My nominated idiots of the day

No, there aren't.

The 'get over' arrows, as you call them, first appear at about 100 yards from the merge point. You can check on street view if you like.

I was just about to apologise for that. I paid more attention on my way in this morning and was going to say the first arrows are just after the 150yd to go sign, so I was wrong.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 14:44 ----------

Well you've lost me again.Usingthe second or 3rd lane on a motorway is quite normal for overtaking slower moving traffic in normal traffic.

This assumes that you will move back towards the immediate LH lane when it is safe to do so.

The situation I described is when there is a reduction in the number of lanes and adequate warning is given.

Drivers who anticipate will slow down and get into the free lane accordingly.

Others will maintain the maximum speed they can,passing slow moving or stationery traffic until they can get no further.

A line of traffic could have proceeded at a reduced speed but instead is brought to a full stop by the bottleneck .

Once you are in the single lane traffic starts to move again.

You must have experienced this and was the reason that many HGV drivers would drive in tandem to try to educate others.

Unfortunately this only led to further road rage with the impatient ones jockeying left and Ishtar to overtake or undertake the blocking manoeuvre.

So why do you think there is a 2nd lane at all then? Serious question.

If you have passed the junction already, you aren't going to block it. If by joining the back of the queue you block the junction, then you don't do it. You either wait before the junction, or use the other lane. This bit of thread related to a claim that the driver doesn't know if the junction is going to be blocked. My point is that he doesn't need to. If he's not blocking it himself, then he needn't worry.

If traffic is in single file, say at 5 mph. Each driver leaves what he considers to be a safe distance behind the car in front. Let's assume its 6 ft. So each car takes up a car length plus 6ft. Regardless of whether they were always in single file or merged from two lanes, they pass through the single file section exactly the same, ie one car length plus 6 ft. So on that basis, it doesn't matter whether they were always in a single lane or came from 2 lanes. However, in coming from 2 lanes into one, each driver has to readjust the space he is leaving in front of him. This can never be perfect, so the drivers will finish up having to make minor adjustments in order to get back to the one car length plus 6 ft length. Those adjustments will result in minor delays. On that basis, two lanes into one will never be quicker, but it may be a little slower.

If you mean it may move a tiny fraction slower then that's fair enough, I think it's worth that to keep the Parkway clear though.

Overtaking, or possibly turning right.

The Highway Code only says to do this with a shared lane (or if the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction, rule 135).

What makes you think this should apply to a dedicated lane?

Edited by RootsBooster

If you have passed the junction already, you aren't going to block it. If by joining the back of the queue you block the junction, then you don't do it. You either wait before the junction, or use the other lane. This bit of thread related to a claim that the driver doesn't know if the junction is going to be blocked. My point is that he doesn't need to. If he's not blocking it himself, then he needn't worry.

If traffic is in single file, say at 5 mph. Each driver leaves what he considers to be a safe distance behind the car in front. Let's assume its 6 ft. So each car takes up a car length plus 6ft. Regardless of whether they were always in single file or merged from two lanes, they pass through the single file section exactly the same, ie one car length plus 6 ft. So on that basis, it doesn't matter whether they were always in a single lane or came from 2 lanes. However, in coming from 2 lanes into one, each driver has to readjust the space he is leaving in front of him. This can never be perfect, so the drivers will finish up having to make minor adjustments in order to get back to the one car length plus 6 ft length. Those adjustments will result in minor delays. On that basis, two lanes into one will never be quicker, but it may be a little slower.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 14:07 ----------

Overtaking, or possibly turning right.

There is no right turn...

Do you not use the 2nd lane on the motorway if you can't see a clear space to return to the first lane?

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 15:58 ----------

Actively creating two lanes of queuing traffic when not necessary, just so you are able to merge in turn. I don't recall the HC advocating that bit of nonsense.

2 lanes of queuing traffic which then merge in turn will certainly not be quicker and will probably be slower than a single lane that doesn't need to merge.

Meaning the queue is shorter, ensuring the minimum chance of it backing up so far it interferes with other junctions.

It's this lack of common sense that results in the stupid behaviour that some people are advocating.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 15:59 ----------

Well you've lost me again.Usingthe second or 3rd lane on a motorway is quite normal for overtaking slower moving traffic in normal traffic.

This assumes that you will move back towards the immediate LH lane when it is safe to do so.

Halibut was claiming that you should not overtake unless you can 'complete the maneuver'...

How I do not miss driving into Sheffield on the Mosborough Parkway. For my two penneth, if both lanes were queued up to the pinch point, traffic would be moving just as fast along the whole road as if everyone queued in the first lane. The only difference would be that you were in a shorter queue so the queue itself would be slower.

...which would keep the Parkway clear.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 16:07 ----------

Then there's this-

Rule 264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

So if the road ahead is not clear, use the other lane (obviously).

Edited by RootsBooster

I was just about to apologise for that. I paid more attention on my way in this morning and was going to say the first arrows are just after the 150yd to go sign, so I was wrong.

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 14:44 ----------

So why do you think there is a 2nd lane at all then? Serious question.

I think there's a second lane to allow a section of overtaking where suitable,which is much of the day

Having overtaken I move back into the left lane.Just like on any dual carriageway really.

If it's obvious that the traffic in front of me doesn't allow me to move back over I don't overtake.

This is my serious answer

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 20:30 ----------

There is no right turn...

Do you not use the 2nd lane on the motorway if you can't see a clear space to return to the first lane?

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 15:58 ----------

Dear Cyclone,

A serious question for you.

I am sure that you know that this is a spurious question.

If the motorway is operating normally you overtake a line of traffic knowing that at some point you will move back to the left.

My question to you is what do you do when the signs say that a lane or lanes are closed and you are travelling in an outer lane.

Usually you are given plenty of advance warning.

Do you reduce speed and look for an opportunity to move over to the free lane or carry on overtaking until you reach the cones.?

Personally I find it preferable and less stressful to take the former course.

I know others don't.

The high way code says

[/color]

No, there aren't.

The 'get over' arrows, as you call them, first appear at about 100 yards from the merge point. You can check on street view if you like.

These appear at the 150 yard marker.

You can check the road if you like.

If you mean it may move a tiny fraction slower then that's fair enough, I think it's worth that to keep the Parkway clear though.

The Highway Code only says to do this with a shared lane (or if the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction, rule 135).

What makes you think this should apply to a dedicated lane?

Left hand lane except when overtaking.

Single carriageway roads - Rule 135

Dual carriageway roads - Rules 136 and 137

Motorways - Rule 264

Pretty consistent and comprehensive