English votes for English Laws

Well said.

The traditional weekend and Sunday "day of rest" is long gone. This is 2016!

People work is many different ways these days. They work different hours, flexibly, work from home.

Many traditional 9-5 roles (including registered professionals such as my job) have long moved away into late nights and/or weekend opening.

In my role I deal with other countries - many of whom have Sunday as a working day.

My hours are 8 hours a day 5 days out of 7. My "weekend" varies and is set as two consecutive anytime throughout the week - most often for me is Tuesday/Wednesday.

Lots of other people have weekend working as part of their normal week. Its nothing special anymore. The overall hours and amount of days off still remain as they always have. What realistically makes Saturday and Sunday any more special. Its just a day. Why cant Tuesday be the new Saturday for some people. Why not look forward to then end of Monday when you get your two days off. It makes no difference.

Personally I enjoy being able to do things off peak.

The point is, if I come out of the office at 6.00 on a Sunday - why shouldn't I be able to nip to meadowhall or Sainsburys to do some shopping just like anyone else on a say, Monday or Thursday.

Why should this archaic and ridiculous law stop a business from opening when it wants to.

I have heard the God botherers and "right to family life" campaigners and think its nonsense. They really do make out that there is crowd of people just desperately gathering outside churches with their kids waiting to get in every Sunday. All this "spend quality time with children" - as if families on a weekend suddenly stop their normal everyday behaviour and delight in the joys of sitting around together playing games. Its nonsense. Families will do exactly the same things as they would do on any other day. Most of the time that ironically means going shopping.

NOBODY is going to be forced to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. People need to drag themselves out of the past and take a look at what the modern world is like.

As for the SNP and their poison gnome leader - its a total sham. Deliberate tactical voting just to spite the Conservatives. They are more than happy to have freedom to open over the border but oh god forbid the Nasty tories actually come up with an idea they approve.

Its completely childish.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You are correct with certain countries. But that's not a problem with my American or Australian contacts. That why my place needs to be flexible.

Both the USA and Australia have similar Sunday Trading laws as the UK, I'm led to believe. Maybe your experience is more industry based rather than country.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 14:41 ----------

The thing is that "family life" often includes shopping.

As most high street shops shut at a similar time as most offices, many people do not have a chance to shop until the weekend.

What I find odd is how where I live we have a Coop and a Sainsbury's local side by side. The Coop shuts at 4pm on a Sunday while Sainsbury's is open until 11pm. The number of people you see in Sainsburys at 5pm goes to show there is demand.

Well said.

The traditional weekend and Sunday "day of rest" is long gone. This is 2016!

People work is many different ways these days. They work different hours, flexibly, work from home.

Many traditional 9-5 roles (including registered professionals such as my job) have long moved away into late nights and/or weekend opening.

In my role I deal with other countries - many of whom have Sunday as a working day.

My hours are 8 hours a day 5 days out of 7. My "weekend" varies and is set as two consecutive anytime throughout the week - most often for me is Tuesday/Wednesday.

Lots of other people have weekend working as part of their normal week. Its nothing special anymore. The overall hours and amount of days off still remain as they always have. What realistically makes Saturday and Sunday any more special. Its just a day. Why cant Tuesday be the new Saturday for some people. Why not look forward to then end of Monday when you get your two days off. It makes no difference.

Personally I enjoy being able to do things off peak.

The point is, if I come out of the office at 6.00 on a Sunday - why shouldn't I be able to nip to meadowhall or Sainsburys to do some shopping just like anyone else on a say, Monday or Thursday.

Why should this archaic and ridiculous law stop a business from opening when it wants to.

I have heard the God botherers and "right to family life" campaigners and think its nonsense. They really do make out that there is crowd of people just desperately gathering outside churches with their kids waiting to get in every Sunday. All this "spend quality time with children" - as if families on a weekend suddenly stop their normal everyday behaviour and delight in the joys of sitting around together playing games. Its nonsense. Families will do exactly the same things as they would do on any other day. Most of the time that ironically means going shopping.

NOBODY is going to be forced to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. People need to drag themselves out of the past and take a look at what the modern world is like.

As for the SNP and their poison gnome leader - its a total sham. Deliberate tactical voting just to spite the Conservatives. They are more than happy to have freedom to open over the border but oh god forbid the Nasty tories actually come up with an idea they approve.

Its completely childish.

Excellent post........:thumbsup: