English votes for English Laws

What happened to the English only voting proposed by the Torys?

Died.

What we're to have instead is the right of a majority of English MPs to veto a law specific to England. That means laws for England will require both a majority of UK MPs and a majority of English MPs.

Even this I don't think has been implemented yet.

Has it not occurred to you that the SNP and others could vote that down too given the government has a tiny majority?

The SNP refused to support the government because the proposal didn't have a Sunday premium wage, something Scottish legislation has.

Of course they could try to vote it down. The only way to find out is to try.

As regards the Sunday premium available in Scotland, that doesn't justify the SNP scuppering an English/Welsh vote. They have control of their own laws in this respect. They shouldn't have control of their neighbour's laws. it is up to them to manage their laws to suit themselves and be competitive with or in line with those of their neighbours as they see fit. To interfere in that neighbour's instead of modifying their own laws is highly cynical. The fact that they choose to do this means, in my opinion, that they are not fit to take part in any votes which affect only England and Wales.

The current government should do its best to prevent this happening again. They may lose the vote (as both Labour and the SNP would clearly vote against), but they should at least try.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 09:55 ----------

Died.

What we're to have instead is the right of a majority of English MPs to veto a law specific to England. That means laws for England will require both a majority of UK MPs and a majority of English MPs.

Even this I don't think has been implemented yet.

...and which will still result in the type of result we have just had.

Scottish MPs have today voted against relaxation of the Sunday trading laws in England and Wales, even though they have such relaxation in Scotland. It's about time the Government changed the laws to stop this happening.

The SNP said that they voted against this because after review they believed that Scottish workers would be affected by reductions in pay or worse working conditions. The argument being that shops wouldn't take anymore money than they do now but overheads would be higher due to longer opening hours and they would try to reduce unsociable hours payments often paid for Sunday working to help cover the costs.

On this one I can understand why the SNP voted it down, however in general I have no issues with the English Votes for English Laws principle.

...and which will still result in the type of result we have just had.

Agreed. More useful in some hypothetical future parliament where the party which has a majority of UK MPs does not have the majority of English MPs.

Very far short of EVEL. Rather disappointing.

Is six hours not enough on a Sunday?

TBH, thats I what I thought as well. Another excuse was to allow shopping centres to open longer to combat the inroads of online shopping. No idea how this would work as I am damn sure that people dont just do their online shopping on a Sunday because the shopping mall isnt open, I know I dont. Also, as Scotland have unregulated Sunday trading do the Scots not do online shopping? :huh:

I agree, six hours is more than enough for a Sunday.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 11:37 ----------

There's no need for a law. If shops want to open for reduced hours on Sunday, or not at all, nobody is stopping them.

That is true, but some small business owners may feel obliged to open for six hours, if other shops do, even if it does not make economic sense.

That's not the point, the point is that everyone should have the choice, if a shop wants to open and can find the staff to staff it and people want to shop at the times they are open, then why should the law prevent it.