Should swearing be stopped in the posh part of town

Swearing is part of language, it doesn't matter whether people think it is right or not. Language is a living, dynamic thing and any attempts to kerb it are destined for failure.

I agree. I personally don't like swearing in excess, however attempts at trying to censor people, like the Salford Council have, sets them up for a justifiable lampooning....As another poster has already stated, the filthiest words tend to come from the poshest mouths anyway....Reports from those who hob nobbed in the highest circles said that Princess Margaret swore like a trooper. Ditto with Princess Anne.

the reader's comments below the article are very funny

"I'm a regular Sweary McSwearington all day, every day. It's just natural language for most people, in an informal way mostly but still...yes it's good to have manners and 'mind your language' as it were but for f's sake this is going to far"

Exactly how I feel :D

I agree. I personally don't like swearing in excess, however attempts at trying to censor people, like the Salford Council have, sets them up for a justifiable lampooning....As another poster has already stated, the filthiest words tend to come from the poshest mouths anyway....Reports from those who hob nobbed in the highest circles said that Princess Margaret swore like a trooper. Ditto with Princess Anne.

Good point, well made, not early enough F's.

I don't often travel on buses but the car was in for a service and I had to go into town, so I found my bus pass and caught the 120. All was well until the kamakazi roundabout when I heard a man talking on his mobile, the conversation started pleasantly enough but soon degenerated into an f bomb rant. I turn around to ask him to tone it down but the lady in the seat behind me got there first and told him that language was not necessary, he told us both to mind our own f'ing business, stood in the aisle and threatened to hit the elderly lady, then 2 other women told him to calm down and be quiet, he threatened to hit one and shoot the other, when the driver asked him to get of the bus he refused, pushed the poor driver who really didn't know how to handle the situation, but with encourage from we 4 elderly ladies he did leave the bus, threatening to 'get' us all. It'll be a while before I catch another bus :)

Whilst there may be grounds for curbing foul language and or if its being used as a form of abuse, I totally disagree with an outright ban.

If its in the dictionary its language. Who deems it offensive. Its a completely subjective thing.

Personally I find the sort of pretentious flowery guff that people like Boris Johnson comes out with offensive. Its just a cover to distract.

I am speaking from a personal position as someone who still uses LATIN in my day to day work.

Point is that people's choice of words is personal to them.

The great Billy Connolly was right. Sometimes, "shoo" or "go away" just wont do.