Dripping and toast

Simple high amount of calories for very little cost. Best bit of course was if you got the brown jelly on the bottom. It goes along with other foods hardly seen anymore like tripe chitterlings and bag and cows udder with loads of Hendersons. For Sunday tea there was always a glass dish with cucumber swimming in vinegar. About the only thing thats survived frtom those days is Pigs trotters and only found in posh restaurants

Tripe can be bought in the moor market and Crystal peak markets as we have it regular, and I still enjoy dripping on toast

As a young apprentice at British Steel Corporation in the early seventies this was my daily breakfast dripping bread cakes with loads of salt.

Loved it not sure now that I would be quite so keen on the idea?

Also pork scratchings with bread and butter was my Saturday treat.

Now in my 60s and a low cholesterol don't seem to have done me too much harm!!!!

I was brought up in a former coal mining village the local butchers sold dripping. I was given dripping on bread and told it would grease my stomach and all would be well. Even now I still like to paste dripping on my toast , how did this dripping eating come about why do believe people believe it does the stomach so good and why was it so popular with miners. Anyway this last post tonight night night.

Get mine from Donny market still in big aluminium tub plenty of jelly superp on bread or cooking roasties and it's reasonable prices as well !

I prefer the pots from Lily's on Penistone Rd where you get both the fat and the jelly,but not mixed together like Beres.

I like dripping on bread,toast or on toasted Warburtons crumpets.

I also like to fry a bit of bacon in the fat and have fried bread.

Only occasionally you understand as although it's very tasty it's probably not a health food.

thanks to ASH for the likening Marmite and dripping (especially the mucky brown jellied sort)

I have always said Marmite is just like dripping-and as for the folks who hate Marmite I think that they were introduced to it being laced on the bread too thick instead of a small skimming over the butter--

butter on it? :gag:

:hihi:

-

Bold: I'm not so sure about whether lightly spread would have made a difference waggin, I think it's just something that agrees with some palates and not others. (and whilst we're on Marmite, I think it's one advertising slogan that I think is genius)

e.g. I don't have a 'sweet tooth' at all really, and when I'm with people eating posh type cakes/desserts etc. whilst the others are having moaning at how nice things are, I just can't eat them... so so sweet :gag:

---------- Post added 13-03-2016 at 21:26 ----------

So who in Sheffield does the best dripping ?

Even without trying, I'd probably bet on John Crawshaws being good. All their food that I've eaten is really good.

Edited by *_ash_*