Train spotting in Sheffield

Just going through my history box and have come across a photo from the Sheffield Star taken in 1960,of myself and friend train spotting on a wall on Bernard road overlooking the main line into the Midland station.Does anyone have recollections of this.

I have never stopped train spotting

I have the little book of all the trains and numbers that British Railways had.

Whenever I see a steam engine I.e. In a movie or historical film clips ,if the number is legibile I cross it off in my little book.I purchased the book from the York railway museum about 10 years ago.

Growing up around Owlerton we spent many hours up by the 5 arches train spotting.Not very fertile ground for exotic engines,mostly B 1s.

Probably the highlight was seeing 'Mallard' in the sheds at Doncaster

I have never stopped train spotting

I have the little book of all the trains and numbers that British Railways had.

Whenever I see a steam engine I.e. In a movie or historical film clips ,if the number is legibile I cross it off in my little book.I purchased the book from the York railway museum about 10 years ago.

Growing up around Owlerton we spent many hours up by the 5 arches train spotting.Not very fertile ground for exotic engines,mostly B 1s.

Probably the highlight was seeing 'Mallard' in the sheds at Doncaster

"Uganda 5636" used to be such a regular caller at the Midland Station, it still sticks in my mind after all these years.

Just going through my history box and have come across a photo from the Sheffield Star taken in 1960,of myself and friend train spotting on a wall on Bernard road overlooking the main line into the Midland station.Does anyone have recollections of this.

Indeed I do! I sat regularly on the wall at Bernard Road from 1960 through to about 1965. I continued to trainspot seriously until the end of steam, graduating from Sheffield to visiting all the regular places across the country.

I visited a couple of preserved lines after that and decided it wasn't for me and gave up entirely until 1978 when I was working in York and on a day off I visited the NRM which re-awakened my curiosity and I have maintained an interest in preserved railways ever since.

Indeed I do! I sat regularly on the wall at Bernard Road from 1960 through to about 1965. I continued to trainspot seriously until the end of steam, graduating from Sheffield to visiting all the regular places across the country.

I visited a couple of preserved lines after that and decided it wasn't for me and gave up entirely until 1978 when I was working in York and on a day off I visited the NRM which re-awakened my curiosity and I have maintained an interest in preserved railways ever since.

Yes guys just visit the other thread Hillsbro provides the link for , lots of good posts. There is a more recent one from last year as well, don't know where it is though but remember Hillsboro and I having some very nostalgic conversations.

Edited by TORONTONY