Almost £4b more in cuts coming in the budget.

'The Disability benefits bill is due to be slashed by a further £1.2 Billion.

Those affected by the cuts will include 640,000 people who need help dressing and undressing, and using the bathroom.

It also emerged that Mr Osborne is planning a tax give away for middle class voters by raising the tax threshold to £43,000 for higher earners.'

(Saturday's Daily Mail.)

So he's taking money from the poorest, most desperately needy in society. Does that seem fair to you?

Oh I'm sure the Government won't do that. Mr Cameron promised that he wouldn't "balance the books on the back of the poor".

Oh I'm sure the Government won't do that. Mr Cameron promised that he wouldn't "balance the books on the back of the poor".

No, it will on the backs of the middle and high earners. Definitely not on the back of the poor.

How top 3,000 earners pay more tax than bottom 9 million

The figures show that the very highest earners - amounting to just under 3,000 people with a declared income above £2.7 million - will contribute 4.2 per cent of the total Government revenue from income tax in the current financial year.

By contrast, Britain’s nine million poorest paid workers contribute less than four per cent of the total income tax receipt.

This is at the root of the Corbynite problem. The middle and high earners aren't interested in what he has to offer so they are taking their vote elsewhere.

Ireland's top rate of income tax is 40% and that's the discussion.
Er, no Berberis: your claim was that lowering the UK's top rate of tax would "only level the UK with our closest comparison, Ireland".

A comparison of the higher rate of income tax alone between the UK and Ireland is meaningless, without taking into account the remaining aspects of personal income taxation: it's pointless looking at the higher rate alone, when the cumulative effect of the absence of a personal allowance (£10k in UK, €0 in Ireland) and 'tacked-on' income-related taxes (PAYE, PRSI) effectively increase the Irish total rate (including higher rate) by another 5% and higher.

Er, no Berberis: your claim was that lowering the UK's top rate of tax would "only level the UK with our closest comparison, Ireland".

A comparison of the higher rate of income tax alone between the UK and Ireland is meaningless, without taking into account the remaining aspects of personal income taxation: it's pointless looking at the higher rate alone, when the cumulative effect of the absence of a personal allowance (£10k in UK, €0 in Ireland) and 'tacked-on' income-related taxes (PAYE, PRSI) effectively increase the Irish total rate (including higher rate) by another 5% and higher.

Loob,

You seem to misunderstand. My entire discussion on the subject of tax stems from this comment:

There has been mention of reducing the highest tax rate band in the next budget. Wasn't it also reduced under this government once from 50% to 45%?

This is what I am talking about when I say it would put our highest rate in line with Ireland's top rate of tax which is also 40%.

No. Let's rephrase it. We have tax returns filled in by chartered accountants who verify to the revenue that the amount of tax we are paying is correct. It is a service that is open to all, even you.

And then you wake up, and have to clean the toilets in Burger King.

How many PAYE workers do you know who pay more than the amount they are required to pay?

that's the word "required" based on the amount they earn. now take that across the board and let everybody pay the equivalent% without loopholes/dividends reducing their income :roll:.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 16:18 ----------

No, it will on the backs of the middle and high earners. Definitely not on the back of the poor..

what like these you mean

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/04/1bn-further-cuts-to-social-care-will-hit-tens-of-thousands-say-experts care to add more if you like :roll:

that's the word "required" based on the amount they earn. now take that across the board and let everybody pay the equivalent% without loopholes/dividends reducing their income :roll:.

But you're advocating a complete change to the tax system, this is not what is being discussed. Plus the last time a blanket like this was introduced, it was resoundly opposed by the UK population. This being the Poll Tax.

Back to my question.... Who pays more than their required amount on PAYE? The answer is none. So why should others who are also paying tax, pay more than the amount they are legally required to do so? I disagree with huge corporations negotiating with the HMRC on how much back tax they will pay but that is also another issue.

If person A is required by law to pay X why should person B pay more than they are required to just because they work out their own tax affairs (at a cost to themselves)?

. If person A is required by law to pay X why should person B pay more than they are required to just because they work out their own tax affairs (at a cost to themselves)?

What about?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/celebrity-tax-avoiders-bono-jimmy-carr-take-355289

They are playing the system to reduce the amount they are required to pay and its morally wrong according the David Cameron.

But you're advocating a complete change to the tax system, this is not what is being discussed. Plus the last time a blanket like this was introduced, it was resoundly opposed by the UK population. This being the Poll Tax.

Back to my question.... Who pays more than their required amount on PAYE? The answer is none. So why should others who are also paying tax, pay more than the amount they are legally required to do so? I disagree with huge corporations negotiating with the HMRC on how much back tax they will pay but that is also another issue.

If person A is required by law to pay X why should person B pay more than they are required to just because they work out their own tax affairs (at a cost to themselves)?

The problem is person B often uses illegal schemes constructed solely for the purpose of avoiding tax. Thankfully HMRC is now starting to go after these people, and has had some wins already on this front.