DOGS should not be allowed on hospital wards.

I've been visiting the Hallamshire Hospital recently and have noticed that they allow a dog on the wards. Ok the dog looked clean and had some sort of cover on it's back saying it's therapy to stroke a dog. The owner also had a jacket on saying the same thing with a collection box in his hand.

On this ward where the biggest part of the patients had had a stroke the last thing in their mind was to stroke a dog, they could barely move or talk and their visitors [ some who I saw crying ] did not want to be harassed by a man and his dog, myself included.

The man stood their hoping I would stroke the dog and put some money in his box, I just wanted him to bugger off. The nurses all had a stroke of the dog and went straight back to handling the patients. Who allows all this and what happens if the dog suddenly wants to poo when you are near the top floor of the Hallamshire, we all know there's quite a wait for the lifts.

Bad idea, there is a time and place for everything and this is not the place and also bad timing for the ill patients.

Would you also ban guide dogs?

If not, what is the difference?

What sort of dog was it? Clearly it would have been vetted and its hardly a stray mongrel we are talking about here. And suggesting a dog like this would just suddenly curl one out on the ward is a bit of an insult, to be honest.

Edited by Hambeast

I've been visiting the Hallamshire Hospital recently and have noticed that they allow a dog on the wards. Ok the dog looked clean and had some sort of cover on it's back saying it's therapy to stroke a dog. The owner also had a jacket on saying the same thing with a collection box in his hand.

On this ward where the biggest part of the patients had had a stroke the last thing in their mind was to stroke a dog, they could barely move or talk and their visitors [ some who I saw crying ] did not want to be harassed by a man and his dog, myself included.

The man stood their hoping I would stroke the dog and put some money in his box, I just wanted him to bugger off. The nurses all had a stroke of the dog and went straight back to handling the patients. Who allows all this and what happens if the dog suddenly wants to poo when you are near the top floor of the Hallamshire, we all know there's quite a wait for the lifts.

Bad idea, there is a time and place for everything and this is not the place and also bad timing for the ill patients.

You seem to think that people can't house train dogs :huh:

It's pretty well established that petting an animal reduces stress, that's probably a good thing in a stroke victim, and since they're not on a medical or surgical recovery ward there's a reduced risk of infection.

And you probably failed to observe the nurses using alcohol hand cleaner after stroking the dog.

What if, say someone is close to death and their only companion prior to being taken ill was a dog and the family wanted to give a last bit of comfort to that person by bringing their dog for one last cuddle? i dont see the harm.. it's hardly a stray dog that previous to taking the lift to the Q ward was rummaging in the bins outside.

Did you know it's scientifically proven that children who grow up with dogs in their homes have stronger, healthier immune systems?

Edited by Chelle-82

Having spent 2 weeks in a hospital ward quite recently getting over a bad infection I'd have loved it if someone brought around a dog to play with! Quite frankly a goldfish would have done wonders for my boredom level...you can only spend so many hours a day reading books before you start to lose your marbles.

Having spent 2 weeks in a hospital ward quite recently getting over a bad infection I'd have loved it if someone brought around a dog to play with! Quite frankly a goldfish would have done wonders for my boredom level...you can only spend so many hours a day reading books before you start to lose your marbles.

Same here, when I was in hospital I really missed my dogs and would have loved to see one for a few mins, obviously if people are to ill then the handler would have moved on not forced the dog on anyone that doesn't want it...really where is the harm :confused: