DOGS should not be allowed on hospital wards.

I've been visiting the Hallamshire Hospital recently and have noticed that they allow a dog on the wards. Ok the dog looked clean and had some sort of cover on it's back saying it's therapy to stroke a dog. The owner also had a jacket on saying the same thing with a collection box in his hand.

On this ward where the biggest part of the patients had had a stroke the last thing in their mind was to stroke a dog, they could barely move or talk and their visitors [ some who I saw crying ] did not want to be harassed by a man and his dog, myself included.

The man stood their hoping I would stroke the dog and put some money in his box, I just wanted him to bugger off. The nurses all had a stroke of the dog and went straight back to handling the patients. Who allows all this and what happens if the dog suddenly wants to poo when you are near the top floor of the Hallamshire, we all know there's quite a wait for the lifts.

Bad idea, there is a time and place for everything and this is not the place and also bad timing for the ill patients.

What a joyful soul, and they say Sheffielders are miserable. How dare they.

:roll:

What bit offended you more, his asking you for a charitable donation or the potential for trained nursing staff to not sanitise their hands afterwards?

Same here, when I was in hospital I really missed my dogs and would have loved to see one for a few mins, obviously if people are to ill then the handler would have moved on not forced the dog on anyone that doesn't want it...really where is the harm :confused:

Well there isn't any - only good can come of a visit by a PAT dog on a rehab ward and long may it continue.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 22:49 ----------

I can understand the dog lovers on here, but the hospital will no doubt be liable for any neglect. Dogs like to lick !

Don't be silly.

The ward in question is a rehabilitation ward for people who have had a stroke. The dog is supervised at all times.

I haven't read all of this thread , When my dear mother was very ill in hospital , she kept on asking for her dogs , the ward sister had her moved to a side room , she actively encouraged us to bring my mums dogs in to see her , My mothers moods changed from being quite low , tearful and depressed. When finally they said there was no more they could do for her , she went to the hospice where she was able to have both her dogs with her everyday , she passed peacefully away with her 2 dogs on her bed.

They didnt lick as they had been taught not to ! they were well controlled , they were taken for regular exercise and treated responsibly.

I would think that a dog on a ward is good for moral and far out weighs any other dangers ! dogs that are pat tested are a blessing tears are also part of healing !

As an ex nurse, I have seen the slow rise of visitors from : 2 people to a bed , then 3 or 4 people to a bed , then people and children to a bed, to Asian families bringing curries in cartons to a bed and now I read here that they are allowing dogs onto wards ?? It's no wonder there is a rise of MRSA in hospitals.!! This infection was unheard of when I was nursing.

As an ex nurse, I have seen the slow rise of visitors from : 2 people to a bed , then 3 or 4 people to a bed , then people and children to a bed, to Asian families bringing curries in cartons to a bed and now I read here that they are allowing dogs onto wards ?? It's no wonder there is a rise of MRSA in hospitals.!! This infection was unheard of when I was nursing.

Steady, pattricia. I've not seen any evidence that MRSA can be spread by dogs, nor indeed curries. More likely to be the chronic overuse of antibiotics and poor infection control by nurses.

I fully support dogs being allowed on to wards and into care homes to bring comfort to the patients /residents.