DOGS should not be allowed on hospital wards.

I bet there would be more germs on a child than a dog, and they're allowed to roam free, putting their grubby hands on everything and people think it's "cute"! :gag:

When my Dad was in St. Luke's last year we often saw dogs being brought in to visit their owners and nobody had a problem with it.

Fancy taking the time to be curmudgeonly about a therapy dog.
fancy taking the time to defend a health hazard in a hospital full of people with already fragile health .... is the opposite end of the argument

So just to be clear .... and it's hypothectical....

I'm in hospital, feeling down and needing mental therapy. Dogs and/or children don't do it for me, but dismantling a motorbike engine on my lap would work wonders. I'll even provide the sheets so there is no exceptional laundry problems. Should this be allowed?

Don't be a ****

My dogs are cleaner than any mechanic i've ever clapped my peepers on!

Edited by Chelle-82

Its the ultra cleanliness in society that people seem to strive for that is making us prone to picking up all these infections. We need to be exposed to a reasonable amount of germs so that our immune systems are used to it.

And a false one, being made by the ignorant :)
so educate me dear chap ..

Dog walks with owner to hospital. As they walk there, dog walks through the park, the streets etc. Meets a few other dogs, they exchange spit, sniff bums etc and arrive in hospital. Dog walks up to ward with owner, gives a paw and licks patient. Of course, there's no need for alarm ... I forget that the dog was either carried there or had its feet washed prior to the bedside visits. There was also mouthwash administered to the dog to ensure it was spotless. So nothing could have been passed on. Meanwhile the nurse reminds all the other visitors to wash their hands because they are all riddled with germs, germs they got from door handles, parking meters etc

(the next bit I'm envisaging, as this is how emotional blackmail and charity often works) Depending on who the dog owner is, he visits each bed rattling his tin and asking you to stroke the same dog that has been manhandled by other patients. You can refuse of course, but the tin rattling and the acted-out face of shame makes you look like a spoil sport and you're obliged to put money into the chugger's tin.

If ever I'm up for a jail sentence, I'm going to court with a dog, cos it would seem that if you introduce a dog into the mix you are absolved from any wrong doing by the British public ... this thread being case in point

And then the dogs also become carriers, do you see?

Just like anything else then. Clothing, other people, items of equipment...

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 13:50 ----------

fancy taking the time to defend a health hazard in a hospital full of people with already fragile health .... is the opposite end of the argument

It's not though is it.

There's no appreciable health risk, it's not a ward for people with 'fragile' health in terms of infection risk, and the dogs have very real and measureable health benefits.

So nothing could have been passed on

I'm curious

As you consider dogs to be so dangerous

What disease would you expect to catch from one? :)

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 13:52 ----------

Its the ultra cleanliness in society that people seem to strive for that is making us prone to picking up all these infections. We need to be exposed to a reasonable amount of germs so that our immune systems are used to it

The Domestos generation

Dying from allergies and auto-immune disease instead :hihi: