DOGS should not be allowed on hospital wards.

so educate me dear chap ..

Dog walks with owner to hospital. As they walk there, dog walks through the park, the streets etc.

Or more likely it comes in a car. But hey ho.

Meets a few other dogs, they exchange spit, sniff bums etc and arrive in hospital.

Exchange spit? Do you imagine dogs kissing or something?

Dog walks up to ward with owner, gives a paw and licks patient.

I think we've already covered that these are trained and won't be licking patients (or anyone else).

Of course, there's no need for alarm ... I forget that the dog was either carried there or had its feet washed prior to the bedside visits. There was also mouthwash administered to the dog to ensure it was spotless. So nothing could have been passed on. Meanwhile the nurse reminds all the other visitors to wash their hands because they are all riddled with germs, germs they got from door handles, parking meters etc

So what we're really saying here is that feet or dirty and the dog shouldn't be giving it's paws to anyone. I think that's fairly reasonable, and I'd be fairly confident that the dogs are trained not to do that.

(the next bit I'm envisaging, as this is how emotional blackmail and charity often works) Depending on who the dog owner is, he visits each bed rattling his tin and asking you to stroke the same dog that has been manhandled by other patients. You can refuse of course, but the tin rattling and the acted-out face of shame makes you look like a spoil sport and you're obliged to put money into the chugger's tin.

If ever I'm up for a jail sentence, I'm going to court with a dog, cos it would seem that if you introduce a dog into the mix you are absolved from any wrong doing by the British public ... this thread being case in point

Sure. That's exactly what the tread demonstrates. :roll:

so educate me dear chap ..

Dog walks with owner to hospital. As they walk there, owner walks through the park, the streets etc. Meets a few other people, they exchange conversation, shake hands, someone sneezes etc and arrive in hospital. Owner walks up to ward. Of course, there's no need for alarm ... I forget that the owner was either carried there or washed his shoes prior to the bedside visits. There was also mouthwash administered to the owner to ensure it was spotless. So nothing could have been passed on.

Fixed it for you.

Or more likely it comes in a car. But hey ho.
Oh yeah, I've seen cars parked on the ward. Or perhaps teleport from the car, but hey ho

Exchange spit? Do you imagine dogs kissing or something?
never seen dogs nose to nosing then? Never seen a dog slather? And you've conveniently left off nose to bumming

I think we've already covered that these are trained and won't be licking patients (or anyone else).
if so, fair point, could've said that first

Sure. That's exactly what the tread demonstrates. :roll:
Fraid it does mate. Its the same attitude as those road users who throw safety aside to passionately find reasons why it is ok to jump red lights. The difference is that those road users are in a minority, here the dog-defenders seem to be in the majority.

Hyper, what about the children that visit the ward? They may also walk through the park, get dirt on their shoes, touch things they shouldn't, sneeze everywhere. Maybe they even meet other children and exchange saliva. But nobody will bat an eyelid when children are on the ward touching and kissing relatives. And I can bet my dog is cleaner and carries less germs than your average child! Dog or snotty child.... I know which one I'd rather be kissed by!!

Anyway, it's not regular dogs that visit hospital wards, they are therapy dogs. As I've already said, they are trained not to lick, jump up, give paw etc. And I'm sure they're perfectly clean. They will also have certain rules that need to be followed. They will all be up to date with their injections etc :)

I know the Hallamshire well, as it is where my sister passed away. The nurses were professional and helpful

I agree with the comment about the begging bowl: if a dog comes into a ward then can it be voluntary ? Because people want to help ? Seems any deed today has to have a price to it.

And yes the nurses know they must be careful about passing on a virus. I have a cousin who is a nurse and she specialized in "Disease control within a hospital environment." In a test, they found that a doctors tie was a major source of passing on viruses from one ward to another !

I know the Hallamshire well, as it is where my sister passed away. The nurses were professional and helpful

I agree with the comment about the begging bowl: if a dog comes into a ward then can it be voluntary ? Because people want to help ? Seems any deed today has to have a price to it.

And yes the nurses know they must be careful about passing on a virus. I have a cousin who is a nurse and she specialized in "Disease control within a hospital environment." In a test, they found that a doctors tie was a major source of passing on viruses from one ward to another !

Indeed so which is why you rarely see a doctor wearing a regular tie.

Bring back dickie bows !

Indeed so which is why you rarely see a doctor wearing a regular tie.

Bring back dickie bows !

I've been on many Dr's rounds with junior Dr's in attendance and rarely do they wash their hands from patient to patient on rounds, even though they may not physically touch each patient they do handle notes, touch lockers , beds, and equipment such as drips.

You don't see therm cleaning stethoscopes every time they use them all these things can carry infection.