School leaving age

So if they cannot teach them in the first 12 years of schooling, you think that one more year would help?

If you read your own link, instead of nitpicking about the school leaving age, then you would know the proposal is just one measure to help reform the whole education system. :roll:

---------- Post added 16-03-2016 at 21:46 ----------

As an employer of young, old and middle- aged employees, it would be wonderful if young people were able to at least spell. A keen work ethic would be handy too.

I could not agree more. :thumbsup:

If you read your own link, instead of nitpicking about the school leaving age, then you would know the proposal is just one measure to help reform the whole education system. :roll:

The school leaving age is nothing new, I never said it was. What Osborne is thinking about, is force children to learn a subject that is not of their choice.

That is probably just a news story about poor maths for the Tory faithful.

The school leaving age is nothing new, I never said it was. What Osborne is thinking about, is force children to learn a subject that is not of their choice.

That is probably just a news story about poor maths for the Tory faithful.

He is trying to help the next generation of schoolchildren get the 'best start' in life for employment.

They will still have a choice of other subjects to learn. If the Labour party had won the last election, they planned to make the study of maths compulsory up to the age of 18 in schools. I guess you didn't know that.

Poor numeracy skills in school leavers is a fact and not a Tory story.

you tell me ash you seem to know a lot :hihi:

I asked you a simple question and again you didn't answer it :roll:

-

click on the smile >>> ... :)

and the laughing symbol >>> ... :hihi:

You really are on a roll at the moment, so I thought I'd join in.

:rolleyes:

Call me cynical, but raising the school leaving age to 18 also takes a fair number of kids out of the unemployment figures.

It might prevent a lot of kids falling into the unskilled, uneducated, unwilling and unemployable scrapheap too. What's more important? Improving lives or scoring points?

As a retired teacher I'd have thought you'd be all for increasing numerical skills and giving school leavers a better chance.