Council funding from local taxes

I have not seen a national news item about this, it was mentioned on radio four. To me it is big news, good if it works, but cuts to start with, so its off to a bad start.

As a result of the budget, councils will collect 100% of their funding via local taxes. But Osborne said that hundreds of thousands of small shops and firms will no longer have to pay business rates from April next year.

And schools are now nothing to do with councils, but who is responsible, I dont know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-2016-services-at-risk-as-business-rate-cut-reduces-town-hall-revenue-a6934986.html

I think it's good, it puts alot more incentive on the councils to improve the area they are responsible for and bring in money.

People will know what councils are doing, at the moment they get blamed for everything.

Poor schools, blame the Government ........

I have not seen a national news item about this, it was mentioned on radio four. To me it is big news, good if it works, but cuts to start with, so its off to a bad start.

As a result of the budget, councils will collect 100% of their funding via local taxes. But Osborne said that hundreds of thousands of small shops and firms will no longer have to pay business rates from April next year.

And schools are now nothing to do with councils, but who is responsible, I dont know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-2016-services-at-risk-as-business-rate-cut-reduces-town-hall-revenue-a6934986.html

the article doesn't say that councils wiill collect 100% of their funding via local taxes. In 2020, councils will get to keep all the revenue from their business rates.

the article doesn't say that councils wiill collect 100% of their funding via local taxes. In 2020, councils will get to keep all the revenue from their business rates.

I heard that in a news item on radio four, not sure when it would happen.

Can you imagine the local authority big cheeses in charge of taxes. Massive tax hikes and the upper echelon nests well feathered.

The idea is that grant funding from central Government to pay for services in local authorities will cease and, instead, councils income will reflect more on the amount of business rates in the area. At present, most of this goes to central government, not the council.

This is fine for areas with lots of businesses paying high rates on expensive premises and less good for poorer areas.