Booked my driving test..

Get lost off ya pair of teasers haha. It's not that I get road rage, I just poo myself because I feel like if they are too close up my rear and I'm going up a hill or what ever, I'm gonna go into them.. so I get frustrated thinking why do that knowing I'm a learner.. then rant..

---------- Post added 17-03-2016 at 13:13 ----------

Thank you to swede, Isabelle and Pete. I'll try these on my lesson today.

I think i would too....:gag:

My tip is don't use mirror in pap pap to apply lippy. Do it before you leave your house.

I'm not sure how you (the car in front) slowing down will cause a gap between you and the tailgater behind (the rightful subject of the OPs initial rant). I'd have thought the opposite was true but then I haven't looked in my rear view mirror since 2004 ;);););)

Go back and read the original post you quoted. :thumbsup:

On your test it's always best to over-emphasise, when you check your mirrors. If needs be, adjust it so that you have to make a slight movement to actually see what's going on in them. Then the examiner will 'know' you're using them. It will also remind you to actually check them frequently.

This is poor advice stemming from the notion that we should do things especially and just for the examiner/test, things that (in-between the lines) we don't need to do once we've passed.

Better advice, perhaps, is to check your mirror(s) prior to doing anything involving steering, signalling or changes in speed because:

- you feel vulnerable to "attack" from the rear and sides

- you'd like to know what's going on around you

- you'd like to take in and give information

That way, good mirror-check habits become just that before during and after the test.

To answer the OP - you are right to be concerned about what's going on behind you, the greatest danger often comes from there. Hence the need to know as much about behind as ahead.

With more driving experience you will, perhaps, be a little more thick-skinned - don't take it personally that someone appears to want to be in your boot.

In response to that, you can take charge of the situation. Create some more space in front of you so the three cars (with you in the middle) have sufficient space.

On joining a line of traffic and on slowing, aim to control him behind with an early show of your brake lights while still having an escape route in front, somewhere to go. (Drivers respond to brake lights). Don't rush to join the back end of a static queue - make him behind be the end of the queue. Do it subtly enough and him behind won't even know he's been controlled.

IF he responds with an overtake, fine, that's where you want him, ahead of you. You win. With time you'll grow into a healthy assertiveness that doesn't get hot under the collar. Guard the integrity of your safety bubble - the most common two-vehicle incident, after all, is the rear end shunt.

Edited by DT Ralge

I think i would too....:gag:

My tip is don't use mirror in pap pap to apply lippy. Do it before you leave your house.

This made me chuckle haha. Well good news, I don't wear lippy ;).

Thanks for that DT, will take your advice to next weeks lesson.

As for swede, this is my goal, the freedom I need, and to stop people ranting about how big my buggy is when I get on a bus or tram ;)

I'm not sure how you (the car in front) slowing down will cause a gap between you and the tailgater behind (the rightful subject of the OPs initial rant). I'd have thought the opposite was true but then I haven't looked in my rear view mirror since 2004 ;);););)

Tinfoilhat! I said gap to the car in front! Argh! Blatantly the rest of the post makes no sense if you read it how you are. Back off the car in front if there is one giving you more space to brake more gently if needed to help avoid any sudden braking. If tailgater hits you it's still their fault but this is just a way to help avoid an accident. Where you intentionally misreading my post?!?!?

Edited by sgtkate

This is poor advice stemming from the notion that we should do things especially and just for the examiner/test, things that (in-between the lines) we don't need to do once we've passed.

Better advice, perhaps, is to check your mirror(s) prior to doing anything involving steering, signalling or changes in speed because:

- you feel vulnerable to "attack" from the rear and sides

- you'd like to know what's going on around you

- you'd like to take in and give information

That way, good mirror-check habits become just that before during and after the test.

To answer the OP - you are right to be concerned about what's going on behind you, the greatest danger often comes from there. Hence the need to know as much about behind as ahead.

With more driving experience you will, perhaps, be a little more thick-skinned - don't take it personally that someone appears to want to be in your boot.

In response to that, you can take charge of the situation. Create some more space in front of you so the three cars (with you in the middle) have sufficient space.

On joining a line of traffic and on slowing, aim to control him behind with an early show of your brake lights while still having an escape route in front, somewhere to go. (Drivers respond to brake lights). Don't rush to join the back end of a static queue - make him behind be the end of the queue. Do it subtly enough and him behind won't even know he's been controlled.

IF he responds with an overtake, fine, that's where you want him, ahead of you. You win. With time you'll grow into a healthy assertiveness that doesn't get hot under the collar. Guard the integrity of your safety bubble - the most common two-vehicle incident, after all, is the rear end shunt.

Where did I say 'only' check your mirrors during the test?...I was giving advice on how to pass the test! I've heard many, many instances where people have failed the test by not using their mirrors (according to the examiner). When the student swears they did, albeit not obviously. Obviously, you can't argue the case once the examiner has made his mind up and handed you, the 'fail' sheet.