Primary school violence to teachers on the rise. What can be done.

Never. Even as adults we continue to learn how to treat others and behave. I'm trying to adapt my posting style on here after being accused of being aggressive which wasn't my intention.

Two ten year olds.

First child as never been hit by the parents but they misbehaves and are violent, you would say the parent hasn't failed because learning is life long.

Second ten year old doesn't use violence because at an early age they learned that being violent will result in a smack, you would say the parent of the second child is a failed parent even though their child is polite, well behaved and never uses violence.

Zero tolerance such as that used to protect staff in the NHS etc. Maybe CCTV in the classroom that only records the last 30 minutes, so when an incident occurs, the footage can be used in proceedings to exclude the child.

A bit over the top for Primary perhaps. However, it can be useful to show kids what their unaceptable behaviour actually looks like as a means of modifying extreme behaviour.

Two ten year olds.

First child as never been hit by the parents but they misbehaves and are violent, you would say the parent hasn't failed because learning is life long.

Second ten year old doesn't use violence because at an early age they learned that being violent will result in a smack, you would say the parent of the second child is a failed parent even though their child is polite, well behaved and never uses violence.

Far too simplistic, but yes I think the moment a parent needs to use violence to discipline their child then they have failed.

First set of parents might well have failed, or there might be a million other reasons why that child is violent. The second child might well grow up to beat up other kids because that was what happened to him as a child.

Trying to make an argument based on that pure black and white stance isn't going to get you anywhere. Equally, I was hit a few times as a child, pretty sure it was common then, so this isn't an argument that I think hitting a child will always turn them into some monster, just that to me any violence is a loss of control. If you lash out at them in the heat of the moment, then that's pretty bad, and if you do it calmly and controlled to show them consequences then I'd say that makes you a sociopath quite honestly.

That said, it is concerning that so many children are resorting to violence but I don't think it's connected to the changes around child punishment at home, I just think that a lot of people either don't know or care how to bring up their children. It's too much effort to take the time needed to explain why that behaviour isn't ok. Children have limited emotional response and control and can be unbelievable annoying, but that's the deal when you decide to give birth.

Edited by sgtkate

Far too simplistic, but yes I think the moment a parent needs to use violence to discipline their child then they have failed.

First set of parents might well have failed, or there might be a million other reasons why that child is violent. The second child might well grow up to beat up other kids because that was what happened to him as a child.

Trying to make an argument based on that pure black and white stance isn't going to get you anywhere. Equally, I was hit a few times as a child, pretty sure it was common then, so this isn't an argument that I think hitting a child will always turn them into some monster, just that to me any violence is a loss of control. If you lash out at them in the heat of the moment, then that's pretty bad, and if you do it calmly and controlled to show them consequences then I'd say that makes you a sociopath quite honestly.

That said, it is concerning that so many children are resorting to violence but I don't think it's connected to the changes around child punishment at home, I just think that a lot of people either don't know or care how to bring up their children. It's too much effort to take the time needed to explain why that behaviour isn't ok. Children have limited emotional response and control and can be unbelievable annoying, but that's the deal when you decide to give birth.

So we can agree that some kids that are smacked by their parents never hit anyone and make good rounded adults and some kids that are never smacked by their parents end up being bullies and violent adults.

Smacking clearly doesn't make someone a bad parent and not smacking clearly doesn't make someone a good parent.

So we can agree that some kids that are smacked by their parents never hit anyone and make good rounded adults and some kids that are never smacked by their parents end up being bullies and violent adults.

Smacking clearly doesn't make someone a bad parent and not smacking clearly doesn't make someone a good parent.

First paragraph - yes.

Second paragraph - not, necessarily. you are drawing causation without any information to draw that from. It is of course possible to bring up kids using violence and those kids turn out fine. Perhaps I'm making an unfair link between those who hit their kids and those who are poor parents in the first place. So the reasons more kids are growing up more violent is down to general crap parenting rather than a lack of people smacking children.

I had a google and apart from multitudes of experts saying that smacking children is a bad idea, I could find no specific figures which is a shame, as without some numbers to back things up, this is a purely emotionally driven conversation. Nothing wrong with that, but we aren't going to get anywhere!

Where's the evidence?

In the schools.

---------- Post added 18-03-2016 at 17:13 ----------

First paragraph - yes.

Second paragraph - not, necessarily. you are drawing causation without any information to draw that from. It is of course possible to bring up kids using violence and those kids turn out fine. Perhaps I'm making an unfair link between those who hit their kids and those who are poor parents in the first place. So the reasons more kids are growing up more violent is down to general crap parenting rather than a lack of people smacking children.

I had a google and apart from multitudes of experts saying that smacking children is a bad idea, I could find no specific figures which is a shame, as without some numbers to back things up, this is a purely emotionally driven conversation. Nothing wrong with that, but we aren't going to get anywhere!

I agree with this study.

Smacking does children no harm if they feel loved, study claims

Smacking does children no harm as long as they know it is for the right reasons and feel loved, a study has found.

Being a strict mother can be good for children as long as the discipline is tempered with a little love and affection, the researchers claim.

But parenting groups and charities have reacted angrily to the findings, maintaining that a child can suffer long term damage from physical discipline.

The study of teenagers, published in the journal Parenting: Science and Practice, found the painful effects of harsh discipline - such as verbal threats or spanking - are offset by the child's feeling of being loved.

The researchers said being punished is unlikely to result in antisocial behaviour further down the line, as long as the child believes their punishment is coming from “a good place”.

Smacking is controversial and has been found to carry a greater risk of manifesting aggression, delinquency and hyperactivity - but authors claims this can be moderated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10004517/Smacking-does-children-no-harm-if-they-feel-loved-study-claims.html

Young children who are smacked by their parents grow up to be happier and more successful than those who have never been hit, research claims.

It found that children who are smacked before the age of six perform better at school when they are teenagers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240279/Children-smacked-young-likely-successful-study-finds.html#ixzz43HA3HBTE

Edited by sutty27

There were 17,520 exclusions form school for physical assault against an adult in the year 2011/12. That's a slight fall from the 17,900 exclusions recorded in 2008/9.

Ofsted has said that schools and teachers were too often ignoring low-level disruption and horseplay leading to a culture of casual acceptance of misbehaviour that is holding schools back.

And when low level misbehaviour is ignored and goes unpunished it will escalate into more serious bad behaviour.

And yet if you read the thread about Forge Valley a lot of posters are complaining that teachers aren't ignoring it. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

Edited by SiSiSi

Wow! :o Seriously shocked by that figure!

(Never said it wasn't true by the way - it's just very alien as a concept to me.)

Do we really know that kids are more violent?

I work for a council, and a girl tripped and grazed her knee whilst getting of the bus. A accident form was filled in, years ago, I am sure this would never have been recorded. A form is not filled in every time, it depends on the individual worker.

Bring back the cane and the slipper, let the little darlings know there are rules you do not go beyond, and if you do there will be consequences to face.

Sorry to spoil the discussion, but perhaps todays kids are really nice little dumplings ;)