Primary school violence to teachers on the rise. What can be done.

I think hitting and smacking needed to be separated. The terms are often used interchangeably. Smacking and hitting are two very different things in my opinion. I was hit as a child. The last time my dad tried to hit me was when I was 19. He also kicked me and pulled me up the stairs by my hair. I did OK at my GCSEs got a couple of As and Bs and then mainly Cs. Went onto college and got a Btec and a HND. You could say I did well educationaly.

However me and my sister would fight something rotten when we were kids. I ended up having to have my head glued after she threw a brick at my head. Although we did not fight at school with other kids. We were generally well behaved at school.

Both me and her have suffered with depression since we were teenagers. Me and my Dad get on now but I have never forgotten of forgiven what he did.

Good educational results may only be one aspect of physical punishment. There may be mental scars which are not so easy to see.

And yet if you read the thread about Forge Valley a lot of posters are complaining that teachers aren't ignoring it. Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

Indeed, probably why so many are leaving the profession.

---------- Post added 18-03-2016 at 19:55 ----------

I think hitting and smacking needed to be separated. The terms are often used interchangeably. Smacking and hitting are two very different things in my opinion. I was hit as a child. The last time my dad tried to hit me was when I was 19. He also kicked me and pulled me up the stairs by my hair. I did OK at my GCSEs got a couple of As and Bs and then mainly Cs. Went onto college and got a Btec and a HND. You could say I did well educationaly.

However me and my sister would fight something rotten when we were kids. I ended up having to have my head glued after she threw a brick at my head. Although we did not fight at school with other kids. We were generally well behaved at school.

Both me and her have suffered with depression since we were teenagers. Me and my Dad get on now but I have never forgotten of forgiven what he did.

Good educational results may only be one aspect of physical punishment. There may be mental scars which are not so easy to see.

:o I would say that was a violent assault and is most definitely different to the type of smack good parents would administer to young children to correct bad behaviour.

Bring back the cane and the slipper, let the little darlings know there are rules you do not go beyond, and if you do there will be consequences to face.

Angel1.

You advocate hitting and beating children. You're in the same bracket as Saville, you just choose fists and hands rather than genitals and sexual violence to hurt them with.

You advocate hitting and beating children. You're in the same bracket as Saville, you just choose fists and hands rather than genitals and sexual violence to hurt them with.

Why are you so unpleasant and rude?

You are not a shining example of humanity.

Why are you so unpleasant and rude?

You are not a shining example of humanity.

Never mind rude, address the point - he's advocating deliberately inflicting pain on children, just like Sir James Saville did - except Sir Jimmy used sexual violence too.

Is physical abuse - slapping, hitting, punching children any less shameful than touching them up, snogging them and raping them?

You tell me.

I will ignore your diatribe simply because it is ridiculous and quite insulting, Quite surprised that the mods have not taken action against you.

When I was at junior and senior school we most certainly were punished by the Head. Slipper at junior school and the cane at senior school.

Did we complain, we dare not because our parents would have probably given us another clip round the lug for getting slippered/caned in the first place.

Did it do us any harm, not in the slightest. It simply taught us if you did something wrong, then you were punished for it.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 19-03-2016 at 00:43 ----------

Never mind rude, address the point - he's advocating deliberately inflicting pain on children, just like Sir James Saville did - except Sir Jimmy used sexual violence too.

Is physical abuse - slapping, hitting, punching children any less shameful than touching them up, snogging them and raping them?

You tell me.

So if you gave your kid a smack on the backside with a slipper, that would be like touching them up or raping them.

I think you may be slightly deranged. Get help from someone you most certainly need it.

Angel1.

I will ignore your diatribe simply because it is ridiculous and quite insulting, Quite surprised that the mods have not taken action against you.

When I was at junior and senior school we most certainly were punished by the Head. Slipper at junior school and the cane at senior school.

Did we complain, we dare not because our parents would have probably given us another clip round the lug for getting slippered/caned in the first place.

Did it do us any harm, not in the slightest. It simply taught us if you did something wrong, then you were punished for it.

Angel1.

bold, click on this post that I linked someone else in earlier, and read what I bolded in it ANGEL...

That is the difference today.

Crap parents are to blame, and you could threaten kids with a noose, and it wouldn't help kids with crap parents.

Is slapping, hitting, children any less shameful than touching them up, snogging them and raping them?

You tell me.

Yes its entirely different and only a moron would think they are the same.

---------- Post added 19-03-2016 at 07:39 ----------

Angel1.

---------- Post added 19-03-2016 at 00:43 ----------

So if you gave your kid a smack on the backside with a slipper, that would be like touching them up or raping them.

I think you may be slightly deranged. Get help from someone you most certainly need it.

Angel1.

It also appears to have taught you to remain polite whilst being verbally assaulted. ;)

Indeed, probably why so many are leaving the profession.

---------- Post added 18-03-2016 at 19:55 ----------

:o I would say that was a violent assault and is most definitely different to the type of smack good parents would administer to young children to correct bad behaviour.

Yes but I think some get confused and the lines get blurred. Hitting has been mentioned on this thread, and I just can't condone it. Not overly keen on smacking all though that's probably because of my own personal experience with violence. But I can understand why some parents might use it as a last resort. However, some parents using smacking and other forms of violence as their first choice.

I think there is a balancing act between being too aggressive with kids (this can include verbal/mental abuse not just physical) and being too soft. Both will cause problems in the long run.

Yes but I think some get confused and the lines get blurred. Hitting has been mentioned on this thread, and I just can't condone it. Not overly keen on smacking all though that's probably because of my own personal experience with violence. But I can understand why some parents might use it as a last resort. However, some parents using smacking and other forms of violence as their first choice.

I think there is a balancing act between being too aggressive with kids (this can include verbal/mental abuse not just physical) and being too soft. Both will cause problems in the long run.

I think the confusion comes because they can be the same.

Hit:- bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.

Smack:- a sharp slap or blow, typically one given with the palm of the hand.

Slap:- hit or strike with the palm of the hand or a flat object.