Working for a benefit funded lifestyle.

The pay gap between the lowest paid workers and countless benefit claimants is quite narrow, leaving many benefit claimants no worse off than someone who works a forty hour week so where's the sense in working to maintain a level of lifestyle that the family down the steet are given on a silver platter?

But why is their lifestyles so similar? Are low paid workers paid too little? Sounds a silly question I know but some might feel that you earn what you're worth, they might also share the views of others who feel that state benefits are too generous, too easy to abuse which is the primary reason too many benefit claimants choose this lifestyle as it's the better option, the sensible option considering the alternative offers little more? And assuming this is the case, can anyone blame them?

I think a lot of the worst problems have now been solved by things like the benefits cap, better monitoring etc. Un blair it was possible for someone who never worked but had a few kids to live better than working neighbours, i don't think thats the case anymore.

The pay gap between the lowest paid workers and countless benefit claimants is quite narrow, leaving many benefit claimants no worse off than someone who works a forty hour week so where's the sense in working to maintain a level of lifestyle that the family down the steet are given on a silver platter?

Minimum wage = £6.70 x 40 = £268

Contribution-based JSA = £72.40

The difference, in my view, is aspiration. Once on the work ladder it's easier to set and achieve goals than when on benefits. Watching lifestyle programmes whilst on benefits is just that, watching. Whereas, once working, one can watch the same programme and know that some day it may be possible to live that life.

Yet employment is higher than ever we are told.

Truth is that your typical welfare claimant today is a worker, probably in receipt of tax credits and housing benefit. Or perhaps somebody working for themselves and topping up their income with tax credits.

There will be pockets of the country where there are higher concentrations of workless households but they are not the norm.

I can honestly say I don't know any adult in my circle of family and friends who is under pension age and does not work at least some hours a week. A few of them claim tax credits etc... But they all work.

---------- Post added 17-03-2016 at 20:53 ----------

The difference, in my view, is aspiration. Once on the work ladder it's easier to set and achieve goals than when on benefits. Watching lifestyle programmes whilst on benefits is just that, watching. Whereas, once working, one can watch the same programme and know that some day it may be possible to live that life.

It's about self-respect too. Earning your own crust and paying your way.

Edited by I1L2T3

I see your point but no all families whose lifestyle in state funded lack aspiration or drive. They may very well have their fingers in many pies and have a budding Alan Sugar among them.