When Will Bus Station be Demolished

isnt it better near a railway station for obvious reasons ?

Its a fair point.

However I think the majority of people using buses to Town are not using the railway station.

Its not even integrated with the tram.

For those that do use the station there could still be some buses stopping where it is now but if you are having a station then I think it needs to be near where the majority of people want to catch the bus and that is either near Fargate/Arundle gate.

However there is probably not room there and it would be very expensive to build one anyway.

To be honest I would question whether we actually need one anyway,what does it achieve?

There is an information point/ticket office at Arundle gate and most people use the information screens at stops or smart phones/the internet to get times routes anyway.

Regarding the bus station being near the train station, its a pity that the old subway under Sheaf Street wasn't nearer the bus station and kept open. At least that way it would be a fully covered, traffic and weather-free link between the two.

Guest busdriver1

People seem to be missing the point and purpose of the bus station.

In the main it serves buses from outside the area whereas more local buses tend to serve the town centre stops. It is also a handy interchange point for National Express (who can be bothered to come in to Sheffield) and Trains.

Also many of the buses using the bus station also serve town centre stops en route to or from the bus station.

For buses that need to terminate in the town its location is not that bad.

I agree it is a handy interchange for National Express but when the current bus station was built there was a nice warm waiting room next to the coach stops. There was also downstairs toilets there and a café next to them. All these are long gone now.

These days if you are waiting for National Express and need to use the toilet you have to go (with your luggage) all the way up to the toilets near WH Smith. Then you have to somehow get your luggage through the toilet barrier and pay 20p for the privilege of it.

Guest busdriver1
I agree it is a handy interchange for National Express but when the current bus station was built there was a nice warm waiting room next to the coach stops. There was also downstairs toilets there and a café next to them. All these are long gone now.

These days if you are waiting for National Express and need to use the toilet you have to go (with your luggage) all the way up to the toilets near WH Smith. Then you have to somehow get your luggage through the toilet barrier and pay 20p for the privilege of it.

Clench then go on the coach lol

I dont think the bus station is an asset to the railway station now, "as it once was", we all use taxi's and cars more now for trips such as that.

Gee, wish I had a car to use. Or for that matter, I wish I could afford a taxi! I consider it idiotic that the two buses I used to be able to catch when going out/returning from a train journey no longer go to the station. It's a great inconvenience when you have to carry your luggage further due to the idiotic changes which have removed the public from public transport.