Play Crown Green Bowls

Fancy trying a new sport? We play Crown Green Bowls in a picturesque setting - social games and league fixtures. Come and have a go at our Open Day on Sat 23rd April 11-3pm and 14/15th May 12-3pm. Please wear flat shoes- all other equipment provided. Contact Olivia at dm_ofc@btinternet.com or find us at facebook.com/fulwoodbowlingclub.

It IS a good game, and NOT just an old folks sport! I measured the distance I walked in just one game...... over a mile and a half! Crown Green bowling is quite popular in Sheffield, some pubs have greens, many parks do, and there a lot of clubs, such as this one.

It IS a good game, and NOT just an old folks sport! I measured the distance I walked in just one game...... over a mile and a half! Crown Green bowling is quite popular in Sheffield, some pubs have greens, many parks do, and there a lot of clubs, such as this one.

Having looked last year, most park greens appear to be closed unless run by a club or volunteers, I tried both Bole Hills and Whitley Woods last year, gone are they days you could just role up hire a set of bowls and have a go. Not great for the future of the game or getting youngsters into the game.

• 3 weeks later...

You make a good point about the difficulty of going for the occasional game in the absence of the old park keepers hut and hire of equipment.

However I think every club is looking for new players and it's a great summer game for all ages.

It can be as competitive as you want or just a nice bit of social exercise.

At my club you can use the green whenever you like for an annual subscription of less than£30 and you would have no trouble getting a second hand pair of bowls for £20 or £30 pounds .

If anyone is interested just call at your local club.

There is a website called "the Beighton Bowler" which has a directory of all the local clubs and contacts as well as news of local and national leagues and competitions.

Give it a try.