Are wage differentials important to you?

It occurred to me after reading a few threads posted on here in the last few days. For example many are angry that someone earning the living wage is less than what some get in benefits

Similarly, at my workplace (and those of others) - what used to be considered quite skilled jobs up until very recently (since the crash) now attract little more than the minimum wage; meanwhile these seem to be attracting little more than entry level jobs. I'm sure this is happening at other workplaces.

I guess in this respect, should differentials be maintained?

Edited by Mister M

According to today's paper, 1 in 6 of the workforce is over qualified for the work they do. And yet young people are getting heavily in debt for a University education that they will not need. Work is being deskilled and downgraded.

I'd like to see everyone earn enough to live, be able to pay for things like insurances and be able to save a bit. Every one should be entitled to peace of mind.

After that, some differentials can be introduced if you like, but they will never bridge the gap between the average national wage and the stratospheric pay of those on £250,000+ (generally because they've been allowed to award themselves pay increases and fiddle their tax,) no matter how long or hard people work - that is the elephant in the room when talking about differentials.

We are definitely now a nation of 'us and them.' and they have pulled the ladder up behind them so none can reach them.

It's positively feudal

According to today's paper, 1 in 6 of the workforce is over qualified for the work they do. And yet young people are getting heavily in debt for a University education that they will not need. Work is being deskilled and downgraded.

I'd like to see everyone earn enough to live, be able to pay for things like insurances and be able to save a bit. Every one should be entitled to peace of mind.

After that, some differentials can be introduced if you like, but they will never bridge the gap between the average national wage and the stratospheric pay of those on £250,000+ (generally because they've been allowed to award themselves pay increases and fiddle their tax,) no matter how long or hard people work - that is the elephant in the room when talking about differentials.

We are definitely now a nation of 'us and them.' and they have pulled the ladder up behind them so none can reach them.

It's positively feudal

Almost entirely because of the NMW!

A lass I know runs about 40 cleaners across 8 sites. Works her ass off and if something goes tits its her that cops for it. She's on 35p an hour more than the nmw cleaners.

What do you advocate in that situation? She's clearly in a position of responsibility and should be enumerated as such - so should the cleaning company charge more to the customer as to raise her pay, or is the NMW too high?

I can't say I worry about what other people earn; it's not hard to work out what the typical going rate is for my job from looking at the sort of pay being offered for a similar role on the recruitment sites.

What do you advocate in that situation? She's clearly in a position of responsibility and should be enumerated as such - so should the cleaning company charge more to the customer as to raise her pay, or is the NMW too high?

I can't say I worry about what other people earn; it's not hard to work out what the typical going rate is for my job from looking at the sort of pay being offered for a similar role on the recruitment sites.

I can't speak for her, she's a nice lass so she sticks with her team but she is worth way more than them, if they were flexibly paid according to actual productivity maybe there would be more in the deal for her.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that someone whose objective productivity is worth the nmw gets the same as someone working alongside them whose objective productivity isn't as it's clearly not equitable.

A lass I know runs about 40 cleaners across 8 sites. Works her ass off and if something goes tits its her that cops for it. She's on 35p an hour more than the nmw cleaners.

Some pay structures have always been the case. For example, in the factories some years ago, it wasn't unusual for someone paid on piecework or salespeople on commission, to actually be paid far more than the manager of the department. Was it fair? I guess the manager must have thought so because offered the chance, would he/she go back on the shop floor?.......Not a chance.

I think it all starts with house prices and rents which have ballooned thanks to the London housing bubble, which has had knock on effects across the country.

Until rents are stablised at an affordable level people are going to need a higher wage just to keep a roof over their heads. The alternative is working tax credits, which means the tax payer subsidising wages, or homelessness.

UBER taxis are protesting in Leeds about slave labour wages

I think it all starts with house prices and rents which have ballooned thanks to the London housing bubble, which has had knock on effects across the country.

Until rents are stablised at an affordable level people are going to need a higher wage just to keep a roof over their heads. The alternative is working tax credits, which means the tax payer subsidising wages, or homelessness.

there are lots of affordable housing. just dumb people thinking they don't like the postcode