Are wage differentials important to you?

We still avoid talking about wages in actual numbers all too often, so there is a llot of guesswork about what people earn and little discussion on the real worth, skill and responsibility of jobs. carers on what equates to less than minimum wages v lawyers...............hmmmmm

this is a year old and averages the high earners roles so it doesn't show the meg rich

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/worklife/careers/a33179/average-job-salaries-uk/

Edited by Parvo

What an absolutely bizarre list. I would like to see some of the factual raw data used in this article.

Just taking my own profession for a minute....

How an earth can Barrister/Judge be averaging £43k, Solicitors £46k and "legal professionals" jump to £73k. What the hell is a "legal professional" other than a Solicitor / Barrister or a Judge.

Its certainly not paralegals earning £70k a year.

Barristers and Judges cannot be in the same camp. Barristers (particularly junior barristers) are self employed and their work levels and fees can fluctuate dramatically.

District judges start off on a salaried rate of £106,000 year going up to around £200k - £210k for Lord Justices of Appeal Court.

Seems like a load of unverified clickbait to me.

We are a capitalist country, so an employer would NOT pay more than the role justified.

It's not the concept of capitalism that's being questioned, it's the accuracy of the list. More examples: Secondary education teaching professionals - £32,524. Primary and nursery education teaching professionals - £29,908. Teachers - £18,604.

The list doesn't make any sense.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Northrn Rail are advertising for trainee drivers in Sheffield. Once qualified, the pay can be more than £40k. http://www.northern.engageats.co.uk/LoginV2.aspx?enc=vDVLPY6BrOnmx9szwB5icMU/Bp97ap1BlI/jb0LhRYVeoh/cn5bYgvW+9EbbSw7a

That's right Ms Macbeth....I know a couple of drivers in Glasgow, but those i commented on are well wide of the mark.

Here's a couple of good uns for anyone out there who doesn't mind giving up their social life....

Aldi...

Store manager £40K with Audi car.

Area manager £70K with Audi car.

That's right Ms Macbeth....I know a couple of drivers in Glasgow, but those i commented on are well wide of the mark.

Here's a couple of good uns for anyone out there who doesn't mind giving up their social life....

Aldi...

Store manager £40K with Audi car.

Area manager £70K with Audi car.

My niece was an area manager for Aldi in Scotland for several years, and you're right the travelling and hours of work impacted on family life. Still it meant she and hubby could buy a decent house. Now with two children they're nicely set up and she has a part time, fairly stress free job.

I posted the train driver advert because in an area of high employment I'm surprised these aren't snapped up quickly!

Edited by Ms Macbeth

I guess in this respect, should differentials be maintained?
Unless I am mistaken (do please correct me if so :)), your question suggests that differentials could be done away with.

In my experience (I hire at all levels, from apprentice to qualified attorneys), differentials arise out of the interaction of 3 broad categories:

1. the job market (stats = 'general' going rate for job and applicant, including commodity-like level of tasks/responsibility/qualifications)
  2. the employer's practices (employer-specific salary calculation method = 'specific' going rate for job and applicant in-house, including length of service, perks, <etc.>)
  3. circumstances surrounding the hire (small element of variation due to e.g. urgency of hire, cost/benefit opportunity, <etc.>)

My answer to your question would be 'you don't have a prayer of eradicating them'.

Edited by L00b