Iain Duncan Smith resigns from Cabinet

If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he wants Osborne's job as Chancellors.

Possibly, but i don't think he'd get that in a Osbourne government. I doubt he would get that in any of the alternatives either. I don't recall any of the likely successors leaping to his defense when he was leader.

I suspect he would like his old job back, with some say over the rest of the minister's in his department and some cast iron guarantee that his budget would be reasonably protected. We could certainly shift some of the aid budget to work and pensions without any issue.

---------- Post added 20-03-2016 at 10:56 ----------

If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he wants Osborne's job as Chancellors.

---------- Post added 20-03-2016 at 10:48 ----------

I'm not sure that that's the case. Up to now the Brexit campaign has been so bad that I think that they've blown their chances.

The out campaign is more of a who will replace Cameron campaign.

Possibly, but i don't think he'd get that in a Osbourne government. I doubt he would get that in any of the alternatives either. I don't recall any of the likely successors leaping to his defense when he was leader.

I suspect he would like his old job back, with some say over the rest of the minister's in his department and some cast iron guarantee that his budget would be reasonably protected. We could certainly shift some of the aid budget to work and pensions without any issue.

After this weekend, IDS hasn't got any future in a government post the inners winning referendum, and he knows it. So any posturing is resting upon his place in a Brexit government, without Osborne or Cameron.

---------- Post added 20-03-2016 at 11:02 ----------

The out campaign is more of a who will replace Cameron campaign.

Very true.

There seems to be two out campaigns. The first being run by the Cameron which is - let's out the rightwing nutters and expose them to the media spotlight. The second out campaign seems to be from the Brexit, who want to out Cameron and Osborne.

There seems to be two out campaigns. The first being run by the Cameron which is - let's out the rightwing nutters and expose them to the media spotlight. The second out campaign seems to be from the Brexit, who want to out Cameron and Osborne.

You seen to think that Brexit is a left/right issue and it clearly isn't. There are plenty on the left who also want out of the EU because people across the political spectrum recognise that is undemocratic and outrageously wasteful. In fact the leader of the Labour Party is himself a eurosceptic and if there was no risk associated with exit then the official position of the Labour party would be to support exit.

Risk however dominates the debate and the real question has been lost in the noise... do we want to retain democratic self-rule or do we want to subjugate to the EU? The truth is that the vast majority of people would vote to leave the EU in a heartbeat if there was no risk. Those who want to stay in the EU should hang their heads in shame that the only way they can win is to scare enough people into abandoning their principles.

Dragging this back on subject... as much as I disagree with many of the policies of the likes of IDS and BJ, I would much rather have them running the country then either of the currently leaders of the main parties who have no backbone and have abandoned their principles.

You seen to think that Brexit is a left/right issue and it clearly isn't. There are plenty on the left who also want out of the EU because people across the political spectrum recognise that is undemocratic and outrageously wasteful. In fact the leader of the Labour Party is himself a eurosceptic and if there was no risk associated with exit then the official position of the Labour party would be to support exit.

Risk however dominates the debate and the real question has been lost in the noise... do we want to retain democratic self-rule or do we want to subjugate to the EU? The truth is that the vast majority of people would vote to leave the EU in a heartbeat if there was no risk. Those who want to stay in the EU should hang their heads in shame that the only way they can win is to scare enough people into abandoning their principles.

Dragging this back on subject... as much as I disagree with many of the policies of the likes of IDS and BJ, I would much rather have them running the country then either of the currently leaders of the main parties who have no backbone and have abandoned their principles.

Nope, I do not think that Brexit is a left/right issue. I was just suggesting that the Cameron seems to be using the media attentions surrounding the referendum to put the more extreme members of his party under the media spotlight.

Good Riddance Nosferatu. No moor sucking the blood of the poor.

Exactly. Stephen McPartland, was also extremely critical of Duncan Smith, telling LBC that the sanctification of the former party leader was “disgusting” and he had “never seen evidence of this conscience people are talking about” during meetings about welfare in the past.

And this is from someone on the Tory backbench!

Nope, I do not think that Brexit is a left/right issue. I was just suggesting that the Cameron seems to be using the media attentions surrounding the referendum to put the more extreme members of his party under the media spotlight.

IDS has undertaken reforms imposed on his department by the treasury i.e. Osborne. He is now saying the cuts are too deep and doesn't want to be part of it any more. If Cameron is trying to undermine the Brexit campaign by making it's supporters look extreme then it appears to be backfiring. IDS's may be overplaying the part of the caring politician somewhat but he has clearly positioned himself on the moderate side of where Cameron and Osborne stand... and they support the stay campaign.

IDS has undertaken reforms imposed on his department by the treasury i.e. Osborne. He is now saying the cuts are too deep and doesn't want to be part of it any more. If Cameron is trying to undermine the Brexit campaign by making it's supporters look extreme then it appears to be backfiring. IDS's may be overplaying the part of the caring politician somewhat but he has clearly positioned himself on the moderate side of where Cameron and Osborne stand... and they support the stay campaign.

Yes, it reflects badly on Cameron and Osborne if Iain Duncan Smith is positioning himself as more caring and compassionate than the PM or his Chancellor.

---------- Post added 20-03-2016 at 13:06 ----------

Absolutely priceless: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/20/princess-iain-duncan-smith-eyelids-three-marriage-shaft-poor

It would take somebody like Lynton Crosby about 5 minutes to formulate a comprehensive media take-down of IDS.

IDS has way too much baggage and history, and there is far too much anecdotal evidence out there about what he is really like.