First bus fares change from 27th March 2016

£2 isn't bad.

You wouldn't get a pint of beer in a pub for that, other than in Wetherspoons or Sam Smiths perhaps. The Star Flyer ride at the top of Fargate charges £6 per ride.

Pre-Thatcher prices required a lot of taxpayer subsidy, the 95 bus is run commercially with no subsidy.

It was only a few years ago that it was it was £1.20. I used to get the bus then, I walk now. So when First and Stagecoach claim they have to put up prices due to falling passenger numbers maybe they should think why passenger numbers are falling. Oh, and fuel prices continue to fall. And the excuse of "but we bought the fuel at a higher price because we buy in advance" was used two years ago. Now the price is lower.

It was only a few years ago that it was it was £1.20. I used to get the bus then, I walk now. So when First and Stagecoach claim they have to put up prices due to falling passenger numbers maybe they should think why passenger numbers are falling. Oh, and fuel prices continue to fall. And the excuse of "but we bought the fuel at a higher price because we buy in advance" was used two years ago. Now the price is lower.

Crookes and Walkley have always historically had promotional fares cheaper than the rest of Sheffield.

The prices haven't been going up due to falling passenger numbers - in the last few years fares have been too cheap and services too frequent as First and Stagecoach have competed with neither making any money - things are becoming sensible now.

And fuel isn't the biggest cost of a bus operator - staffing is.

You can save money - you can buy a carnet of 10 single tickets for £18 making it £1.80 per single journey, avoiding the price increase. If you commute regularly a First Week ticket costs £13 (£1.86 per day) offering unlimited travel on First for 7 days, alternatively a Citybus week at £14 works on all operators for just £2 per day so in Walkley you can also use the 31/31a as well as the 95.

It was only a few years ago that it was it was £1.20. I used to get the bus then, I walk now.

Good for your health though taxman and quids in :)

10 journeys a week, and you can buy a few pints to counter balance that and pubs do alright too :D

If I need to pop into town, alone, the bus/tram is the cheapest.

The moment that we are two or more, it is cheaper to take the car and pay parking charges.

Or in some cases getting a taxi :)

Crookes and Walkley have always historically had promotional fares cheaper than the rest of Sheffield.

The prices haven't been going up due to falling passenger numbers - in the last few years fares have been too cheap and services too frequent as First and Stagecoach have competed with neither making any money - things are becoming sensible now.

And fuel isn't the biggest cost of a bus operator - staffing is.

You can save money - you can buy a carnet of 10 single tickets for £18 making it £1.80 per single journey, avoiding the price increase. If you commute regularly a First Week ticket costs £13 (£1.86 per day) offering unlimited travel on First for 7 days, alternatively a Citybus week at £14 works on all operators for just £2 per day so in Walkley you can also use the 31/31a as well as the 95.

Fares have not really been too cheap.

Lots of money was being wasted because four busses with same number would frequently drive bumper to bumper wasting money.

What they call improvements are not really customer improvements.

It was actually the companies weeding out their own inefficiencies and then call that customer improvements while it really had nothing to do with customers interest, they were just becoming a little less stupid themselves.

Now they have improved these inefficiencies and are less of a mess they even try to use that as something to brag about.

Fares are not too cheap. A small car will come very close to compete with bus fares.

Note - there are no changes to Citybus and Citywide tickets valid on all operators.

These are :

Citybus (any bus in Sheffield) day £4, week £14, 28day £49

Citywide (any bus and tram in Sheffield) day £4.30, week £15, 28 day £53

Details of these tickets and others in the Travelmaster range, visit http://www.sytravelmaster.com

---------------------------------------------

First Week Sheffield - increased from £12.50 to £13.00

Single fares simplified - rounded to nearest 50p

£1.00 - no change

£1.20 - reduced to £1

£1.40 - increased to £1.50

£1.50 - no change

£1.80 - increased to £2

£2.30 - increased to £2.50

£2.70 - reduced to £2.50

£3.00 - no change

£3.20 - reduced to £3

£3.50 - no change

First Day tickets frozen in price

First Day Sheffield £3.90

First Day South Yorkshire £5.00

new 10 trip carnet £18 - no price change

First 4 Week

Sheffield - increased from £41 to £43

More info http://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/news-and-service-updates

Why is the First Day £3.90 then?

Fares have not really been too cheap.

Lots of money was being wasted because four busses with same number would frequently drive bumper to bumper wasting money.

What they call improvements are not really customer improvements.

It was actually the companies weeding out their own inefficiencies and then call that customer improvements while it really had nothing to do with customers interest, they were just becoming a little less stupid themselves.

Now they have improved these inefficiencies and are less of a mess they even try to use that as something to brag about.

Fares are not too cheap. A small car will come very close to compete with bus fares.

Taking into account depreciation,petrol,tyres,parking and maintenance I doubt any car costs anywhere near as little as £50 a month.

I was coming home from town last week with my two children and didn't check that I had enough bus fare, as I stepped on to the bus and began counting my change it became apparent that I didn't have enough change,

my intention was to go to the cash point and drawn some money out,

when the bus driver asked me what was up I replied I don't have enough change... he replied its ok... and allowed me to continue my journey for free...

just thought bit was a nice gesture and thought I would share my story with you all

£2 isn't bad.

You wouldn't get a pint of beer in a pub for that, other than in Wetherspoons or Sam Smiths perhaps. The Star Flyer ride at the top of Fargate charges £6 per ride.

Pre-Thatcher prices required a lot of taxpayer subsidy, the 95 bus is run commercially with no subsidy.

A weekly Citybus ticket for £14 is £2 per day offering unlimited travel anywhere in Sheffield on any operator - or if you like between City and Walkley and back on both the 31 and 95.

Post Thatcher prices are run for profit, so really no balance in argument. Out of Sheffield for example you can get a bus in central London to out of Zone 6 for £1.50. I'm currently traveling around Barcelona for less than a Euro per journey by train, tram, metro, day or night bus with a T10 carnet. Our deregulated system is a joke and I drive at home in preference to using a public transport.