Your thoughts on donations to charities

Why don't we invest in factory in those countries.we can pay them $1 an hour. If they was really that desperate they would do it for a lot less.This way they wouldn't strave to death or dirty water. we get cheap goods and everyone is a winner

Thought long and hard about that response have you? :huh:

There should be a 'three star rating' for charities over a certain size showing 1. how much they spend on fundraising, 2. how much is fundraised and 3. how much of that gets to achieve the Charitiy's objectives. It isn't just the big charities either.

I came across a charity that sounds very like an International Aid Charity but its trustees are based in Rotherham. One year the accounts showed that the worker employed his partner as admin support and the uncle to do the accounts. Of the 250k raised, 150k went on costs. My requests for information went unanswered.

I came across a charity that sounds very like an International Aid Charity but its trustees are based in Rotherham. One year the accounts showed that the worker employed his partner as admin support and the uncle to do the accounts. Of the 250k raised, 150k went on costs. My requests for information went unanswered.

They do seem to spend about half their income on 'staff costs'

Agree with your concerns. I'm sick of subsidising the mega rich - especially when they are paid with public donations to a good cause.

Some 'charities' are also tendering for health and social service roles, undercutting public services with our donations.......pretty bad.

I react by giving small and local whereever I can (our own hospitals, animal sancturaries, etc ) or I give my time to some of the volunteer only groups.

I will also look up accounts on the charity comission website. (and have been known to go back for an argument - especially the patronising young chugger who told me in a smarmy voice how he wasn't a charity mugger he was a charity hugger - I nearly threw up!):gag:

I cancelled all my DD (3 of them) when Kate McCann was made ambassador for Missing Children, what a joke. I only donate to local charities and would never donate to the bigger ones again.

mydonate.bt.com doesn't take any charges away at all. Encourage people to use that instead of justgiving.com that's actually profit making!

Agree with lots of comments on here. I'm lucky that my employer allows all staff to use up to 5 free volunteering days a year to support local charities so I try to use all of these whenever possible. Equally, apart from donating to Macmillan Nurses for personal reasons, I also only support local charities where I can see where money/donations go, or better still go out to Kenya myself to help build the school we fundraised for so I know EXACTLY where every penny went down the nails!

mydonate.bt.com doesn't take any charges away at all. Encourage people to use that instead of justgiving.com that's actually profit making!

........!

Thank you for that. I was unaware of the site and will spread the word.

How is BT funding the MyDonate service?

MyDonate is a not-for-profit service from BT. It is part of the investment we make to the community.

BT invests at least 1% of its corporate pre-tax profits in society each year. In 2014/15,

http://www.btplc.com/mydonate/Help/FAQs/FAQsfordonors/index.aspx

That's a good point you've made there. At least you know that the dog food won't go towards senior managers!

I regularly use to volunteer my time, rather than give money. However since I started working full time I can no longer do this - so I might follow your example & donate food rather than money.

As I have said before. This is the way to go. That is why I always donate plenty of toys to the children's Christmas donations. You know where you are donating services or time or physical things. I have always thought that where money is concerned it is too open to abuse.

There should be a 'three star rating' for charities over a certain size showing 1. how much they spend on fundraising, 2. how much is fundraised and 3. how much of that gets to achieve the Charitiy's objectives. It isn't just the big charities either.

You should be able to find all that information on the charity commission website.