Pub crawls into Derbyshire by Sheffielders

Referring to Dreb 48, you obviously came across Helen.Used to meet her in The Stone House at lunchtimes when I returned early from repping in the late 60's and The Cavendish. Yes , where is she now.

I always proclaimed I drove safer on beer, am sure the law and medics would not agree. Never had an accident with drinking, however I would not feel confident now , even if we could , at my age.

Former Penthouse Girl of the Month ? Sang in a band? Is that the same Helen I've just googled?

In about 1981 I got stopped in Little London Rd in my S reg Ford Capri 1.6L with no lights on.

Just come out of Josephines and had a few. Previous week got done for parking on a pelican crossing outside Napoleons in Ecclesall Rd Luckily it was just a pass on the breathalyser - that was it -virtually stopped going out and started doing up houses. It was time to grow up - - it didn't last long though!

Probably first visits to Derbyshire after passing my test would be 1962 and was probably The Old Hall , at Hope. This was the venue , meeting place for The North Midland Motor Club .

Also landlord , Jack Jones a life like charactor was a picture in his Barney Goodman suits and handlebar moustache , and some nights he had blind Ken at the organ to entertain us. Sometimes Jack would bring out his double bass and accompany Ken , a formidable sight. Then we had Anton with his carvery to provide the food .

Another watering hole of ours in the 60s the Ladybower Inn when Roger Eyre had it,that bloke was a legend,on Saturday nights as long as you were known to him or had been in for a couple of hours you were fine for after birdy!.After the casuals had departed the doors were locked and Roger produced two freshly roasted joints,pork and beef plus fresh breadcakes,not free of course old Rog was a canny business man!.We stayed until the early hours sitting in his front room laughing at his stories, one I remember was typical,a woman had been murdered and the body dumped in the reservoir!.Police frogmen were lodging at the inn for a week until the woman was found,Roger said"They ought to dump a body in every week those coppers drank the pub dry!".No sentiment in business for old Roger!.

This post is throwing up all the memories I hoped for.Without getting too nostalgic I think we were blessed to be teens when we were in a far simpler time and I don't envy the kids of today apart from their youth.To get back on track wasn't there a disco in the Devonshire in Baslow?

Was it the cats whiskers ? Can deffo remember a disco

Another watering hole of ours in the 60s the Ladybower Inn when Roger Eyre had it,that bloke was a legend,on Saturday nights as long as you were known to him or had been in for a couple of hours you were fine for after birdy!.After the casuals had departed the doors were locked and Roger produced two freshly roasted joints,pork and beef plus fresh breadcakes,not free of course old Rog was a canny business man!.We stayed until the early hours sitting in his front room laughing at his stories, one I remember was typical,a woman had been murdered and the body dumped in the reservoir!.Police frogmen were lodging at the inn for a week until the woman was found,Roger said"They ought to dump a body in every week those coppers drank the pub dry!".No sentiment in business for old Roger!.

I remember he only ever drank milk - had a glass behind the bar. The sandwiches were legendary thick beef or pork and loads of butter. Used to serve them all day Monday as well.

In the 60's our haunt was the Cheshire Cheese - (Castleton, I think). One of our party was a great pianist and we had some great sing-songs and lengthy drinking sessions. Early hours of the morning we would be stopped at the bottom of Mosborough Hill by the police as we crossed the border back into Derbyshire. The same ritual every time!! "Where have you been, sir?" "Where are you going, sir?". And we were allowed to drive on!

Our own little pub in the village would cover the pumps at closing time, wait until all the "strags" had left and then start serving again. Often there until two or three in the morning. Also have vivid memories of another local where the juke box was turned to full volume for Englebert Humperdinks "Please release me". Strange the daft things you remember.

And to think that years later we preached to our son about not drinking. Thankfully, he's now got more sense than we ever had and won't touch a drop if he's driving.

The Red Lion at Gleadless Town End was our trip into Derbyshire, the race from the Heeley and Sheffield house over the border into Derbyshire to get the extra half hour in was a sight to be seen.

Alec Caley once did it in two minutes flat still a record to this day.

The pub was an important part of our social culture in the 60's , but this seems to have died over last 20 years with the demise of the industrial worker , promotion of chemical beer and the breathalyser , then the advent of the liberal lefty brigade who choose the eating and wine as the new culture.

The new generation will not experience our great times in the Derbyshire pubs again .

Hear hear to that