Time Team Sheffield Special

Tony

Just heard that Channel 4's Time Team Special "Steel City" will be shown on Monday 22nd March @ 9.00pm.

It was filmed over the course of 2003 and features various sites around Sheffield.

Not sure where this belongs.. General.. TV...History?

got this email from my uni deparment a few days ago... (suspiciously also from a tony...)

On Channel 4, Monday 22 March, 9.00 pm, there is a programme

entitled 'Sheffield Steel City' and we understand that the

Department may be featured in this. This work was aimed at the

production of a 'traditional' hunting knife from 18th Century Swedish

Blister Steel and was mainly performed by Stuart Bater. Dr John

Whiteman and Rod MacKenzie (Archaeology) were also involved

I think that the Sheffield Special was basically a monitoring time team that follows various investigations led by ARCUS @ Sheffield Uni. Because it was done over time I suppose that it will be a bit more like "Meet the Ancestors" or similar where they follow something for a while.

You have to admit tho MM, a 3 day dig condensed into a 1HR prog makes great telly!

TT is a bit of a swear word among archaeologists, but we all watch it anyway. They seem to be able to get permission to dig absolutely anything, things you'd hardly ever get permission to dig even in a research context. If they want to watch the assorted scruffs at ARCUS, fine, but they should lay off the madness of last summer of thousands of uncontrolled holes in peoples' gardens.

And industrial archaeology is supremely dull anyway, judging by the hallway full of bricks and rusty pipes at the department...

Archived