Royal hotel highfields.

only_me

My uncle David and aunty Mona were the landlord/lady in the late 60's. They moved there from the Midland Hotel on Spital Hill, next to the East House.

The Royal was a good pub and well frequented. I spent many hours in there on leave from the Navy.

During their tenancy they were robbed of the takings. The safe was next to my uncles head at the side of the bed. He was lucky to survive, he slept through the whole incident.

If I remember right there was a milepost outside The Royal which said Sheffield 1 mile, so I always believed that it was 1 mile to the town hall.

Don't know how many pubs there were between The Royal and The Town Hall back in the late sixties but there must be someone out there that can name them all.

Two of my school mates used to play there,it was a trio but I didn't know the third player on Base,that would be in the late 40 early 50s. The family had my mothers birthday party there in the early 70s,hired the room upstairs. Good pub.always packed on a saturday.

• 3 years later...

The Royal Hotel was the first Sheffield team to win the magnificent seven darts 1978 the last time the competition was played on a double board Pete was the landlord and his wife Mavis great times in that pub

The Royal Hotel was the first Sheffield team to win the magnificent seven darts 1978 the last time the competition was played on a double board Pete was the landlord and his wife Mavis great times in that pub

I to had some great times in the royal around that same time (or nearer 1980) great weekend disco there to. Can you remember the dedicated domino team ?. Sometimes they had a bit of a singing compertition on the stage , a bloke called Felix often won :hihi:

Archived