Are we in danger of 'normalising' terrorism?

We all seem to have forgotten that not many years ago some of our good friends and neighbours, the Irish, were shooting and bombing us on a regular basis. Some of them are said to be planning more attacks this week to "celebrate" the Easter uprising 100 years ago. Remember, one mans freedom fighter is an other mans terrorist.

Well said. Terrorism was a normal day to day occurence for the people of Northern Ireland during the 'troubles' and it is still happening today.

I don't believe we are in danger of normalising the current Muslim terror threat towards us, but it is certainly normalised in other areas of the World. On the same day as the Brussels bombings there were reports of a 'British' suicide bomber murdering over 30 people in Iraq, which attracted less publicity on our news.

By normalising it, I mean, just accepting that these things happen, and it not being of much consequence, unless of course you're unlucky enough to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Or have we already 'just got used to it'?

I think people accpet it will happen, but they do point out what a trrible tragedy the loss of life is. It isnt normal, but at the moment theres not a lot you can do.

One interesting insight Pete is that events in Germany and Belgium are viewed nearly as threatening and local as events here. thats media for you.

I read a very interesting article earlier on De Speld (Dutch site) apparently a lady called Samantha has survived three!!! terrorism attacks by being in a different place from where they occurred.

Absolutely incredible story, she is so brave.

She's most certainly is one lucky woman!

It kinda reminds me of what I used to say about Kate Adie: You wouldn't want to even go on holiday at the same place as her, cos wherever she was, there was always trouble! :hihi:

We all seem to have forgotten that not many years ago some of our good friends and neighbours, the Irish, were shooting and bombing us on a regular basis. Some of them are said to be planning more attacks this week to "celebrate" the Easter uprising 100 years ago. Remember, one mans freedom fighter is an other mans terrorist.

My bold:

This is just false. Terrorists are not automatically freedom fighters.

In fact Daesh and their ilk are specifically fighting against freedom. Does fight against freedom make you a "freedom fighter". I think not.

Above all Daesh are resisting by force multiculturalism. They want everybody to live in a society based by their interpretation of Islam. Nobody is preventing them from living their lives in such a way (within reason), but that's not good enough. Everybody else should live that way as well.

Does that sound like a "freedom fighter" to anybody?

By normalising it, I mean, just accepting that these things happen, and it not being of much consequence, unless of course you're unlucky enough to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Or have we already 'just got used to it'?

Maybe we normalised in in the 1970s/1980s, because people do seem to be surprised when they out that that was the time when terrorism was prevalent in Europe?

I read a very interesting article earlier on De Speld (Dutch site) apparently a lady called Samantha has survived three!!! terrorism attacks by being in a different place from where they occurred.

Absolutely incredible story, she is so brave.

or just very unlucky:suspect: if I were her friends id ask where she going next then go in opposite direction:D

My bold:

This is just false. Terrorists are not automatically freedom fighters.

In fact Daesh and their ilk are specifically fighting against freedom. Does fight against freedom make you a "freedom fighter". I think not.

Above all Daesh are resisting by force multiculturalism. They want everybody to live in a society based by their interpretation of Islam. Nobody is preventing them from living their lives in such a way (within reason), but that's not good enough. Everybody else should live that way as well.

Does that sound like a "freedom fighter" to anybody?

Nope!............

---------- Post added 24-03-2016 at 12:10 ----------

Maybe we normalised in in the 1970s/1980s, because people do seem to be surprised when they out that that was the time when terrorism was prevalent in Europe?

I suppose it depends on people's definition of terrorism (which we know can vary). But I'd say it was a lot more widespread today than back in the 70's and 80's. Or at least that's my perception. Maybe that's to do with the 'instant news' culture.

I suppose it depends on people's definition of terrorism (which we know can vary). But I'd say it was a lot more widespread today than back in the 70's and 80's. Or at least that's my perception. Maybe that's to do with the 'instant news' culture.

No, we have a lot less terrorist attacks today compare with 1979 which was the peak year. In that year there was 1,019 attacks. Have a look at this graph, taken from here. So it does seem that we normalised terrorism in the 1970/1980s, and then became complacent about it when the attacks started to drop off.

That's useful, but it can be misleading to look at number of attacks. Looking at deaths and injuries as a direct result of terrorist action is more informative.

If you have a look at the link, this graph will show that the injuries and deaths trend is also lower today if you take into account the odd spike.