Wiring/connecting 13 Amp socket

I have a 13 amp socket : socket single switched 13A double black interior Chrome, I would like to know the size of wire to use

Use whatever is currently in there. If you are running a new circuit it needs to be done by a competent person. If you are replacing an existing circuit then use the same size cable as before which will probably, but not necessarily be 2.5sqmm. Is this a ring, branch or radial circuit?

Use whatever is currently in there. If you are running a new circuit it needs to be done by a competent person. If you are replacing an existing circuit then use the same size cable as before which will probably, but not necessarily be 2.5sqmm. Is this a ring, branch or radial circuit?

Everyone's an expert with google these days :roll:

(joke btw Oblix, it's quiet in here tonight :D)

I have a 13 amp socket : socket single switched 13A double black interior Chrome, I would like to know the size of wire to use

To be honest, it doesn't really matter how long the wire is to a plug socket, so long as it's correctly wired. 2.5mm (as some posters have suggested) seems excessively short to me though as it'd be very fiddly to wire into the mains unless you have a degree in micro-circuitry, silicon chips etc.

Use a tape measure as a last resort, but rule of thumb would be around two metres … better too long than too short. :thumbsup:

Also, for those who've never wired something up before, even replacing a plug on an electrical appliance can seem a pretty daunting challenge.

For safey's sake, I'm providing this photo of the correct way of undertaking such a task, in the hope that it will help others of less technical disposition.

A keen eye will show that I eschew conventional fuses, due mainly to the fact that they're not designed to cope with electricity, and opt instead for something more robust. Screwdriver bits do the job admirably, be they posidriv, hex or flat tipped, and cost substantially less than the inferior fuse.

A 4.5 megawatt square-drive bit fuse is pretty standard for most high wattage devices, although, as shown on the above link, a Phillips bit is ample for stuff like kettles and hair-curlers. :)