Anyone been to Cuba for a holiday?

An island that I would like to visit one day I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum been to Cuba? If so what are prices like, do you feel safe enough, travel costs anything really.

I went several years ago. I suppose it depends what you are looking for.

There are tourist resorts which are no different from those you would find in any other place. If that's all you want then go elsewhere.

On the other hand Cuba offers places where you can go "off piste". Even Havana allows you freedom to see a place without being part of the tourist herd.

We went to Havana, found a taxi driver with an old American jalopy. Paid him around $50/day and he drove us where we wanted to go. Learn some Spanish because the taxi drivers don't speak English. The bars in old Havana are fabulous for music & dancing. If you have $US. then you are welcome.

The place is pretty safe. There are rather a lot of security police who will guarantee that. The worst you are likely to expeience is having your wallet nicked.

I seem to remember we got Voyages Jules Verne to put together a package that involved one of the ancient hotels of Havana and a local flight to Santiago with just one coach tour to a remote spot. (The coach broke down) e. The holiday wasn't expensive, comparable with Madeira. It was a fantastic experience. Expect to spend a long time getting through immigration.

And do it soon. The yanks have arrived. Leave it 3 years and you might as well go to The Bahamas.

Oh.. Don't buy any cigars. They will be fakes. The good stuff is all exported. And take a bus ride around Havana. You have to try it once. You won't try it twice. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=havana+articulated+bus&tbm=isch&imgil=v7lL38krkGqsJM%253A%253BQnUgZIrlpO9NGM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FTrailer_bus&source=iu&pf=m&fir=v7lL38krkGqsJM%253A%252CQnUgZIrlpO9NGM%252C_&usg=__VxSZG7UUrR-HF8g5XsdduNGe0B0%3D&biw=1280&bih=911&ved=0ahUKEwjclv7Tt9zLAhUDdD4KHWg8AXQQyjcIMQ&ei=F3_1VpyvC4Po-QHo-ISgBw#imgdii=Z6Yo0EqNHr8aRM%3A%3BZ6Yo0EqNHr8aRM%3A%3BvE-7OGyMXz41xM%3A&imgrc=Z6Yo0EqNHr8aRM%3A

Edited by foxy lady