PAT testing diy

In the 70's one of my annual jobs was going round M&S visually checking leads & fuse ratings.

I also had to check the screws in the plugs were tight, check all the fuseboards for tight screws & fuse ratings.

I don't know whether they ever had a fire somewhere to make them decide to do this, but I know there wasn't a law forcing them to do it.

PAT Testing is a recognised way to show that you are complying with the electricity at works regulations. People will alway bleat on about

"license to print money" etc until they get an electric shock or something catches fire.

I used to PAT Test and you would be suprised how many itmes do fail the test but look perfectly fine.

Remedy234,

Am I right in assuming that part of PAT Testing includes a "Flash Test" ?.

The reason I ask is the following. When I taught C+G 236 Part 3 ; I had to deliver

some lesson on Overvoltage Transients -and the effect on electrical equipment and circuit breakers, and how "solid earthing" helped reduce the detrimental effects of transients.

Are such consideration outside of the parameters of ordinary PAT Testing ?

If my memory serves me correctly (without reaching for my old lecture notes ) transients

can be a real source of danger and damage to electrical equipment.

I do recall having to gen up on MICC and how transients actually punctured the copper

sheathing ,and broke down the insulation and caused short circuits and earth faults.

Remedy234,

Am I right in assuming that part of PAT Testing includes a "Flash Test" ?.

The reason I ask is the following. When I taught C+G 236 Part 3 ; I had to deliver

some lesson on Overvoltage Transients -and the effect on electrical equipment and circuit breakers, and how "solid earthing" helped reduce the detrimental effects of transients.

Are such consideration outside of the parameters of ordinary PAT Testing ?

If my memory serves me correctly (without reaching for my old lecture notes ) transients

can be a real source of danger and damage to electrical equipment.

I do recall having to gen up on MICC and how transients actually punctured the copper

sheathing ,and broke down the insulation and caused short circuits and earth faults.

Hi No the flash test hasnt been in the Code of Practice for some years now. For sensitive items such as IT equipment a 200mAmp test is usually used.

Hi No the flash test hasnt been in the Code of Practice for some years now. For sensitive items such as IT equipment a 200mAmp test is usually used.

With a lot of IT equipment it is not necessary to PAT test especially if it is class II.