Road closures- Sheffield Half Marathon- 10 April 2016

I never had the pleasure of entering the marathon I was too busy trying to do a days work and trying to explain to customers why they were losing money because I couldn't get to them.

You are making it sound all rather dramatic? Were huge swathes of the city totally cut-off?

I never had the pleasure of entering the marathon I was too busy trying to do a days work and trying to explain to customers why they were losing money because I couldn't get to them.

What customers couldn't you get to? If the emergency services can get around the city then you can too.

Enter next year. Running is great for improving mood.

How do you cope if there was a major incident in the city centre? At least for this disruption you have plenty of notice and time to plan alternative routes should you need to.

How do you cope if there was a major incident in the city centre? At least for this disruption you have plenty of notice and time to plan alternative routes should you need to.

No, you can't plan when someone at HQ phones you up and says so and so's just rang and so and so has also just rang and they are doing there nut and they want you there now. I dread to think how emergency services go on. With possibly life threatening delays I would think.

No, you can't plan when someone at HQ phones you up and says so and so's just rang and so and so has also just rang and they are doing there nut and they want you there now. I dread to think how emergency services go on. With possibly life threatening delays I would think.

They manage perfectly fine, just like they do in every other town and city that hosts these types of events. They have input into the route planning and organisation. They wouldn't ok the event if there was a problem.

Are there no alternative routes for you to use?

Guest sibon
Probably, but I was not able to plan it in advance because I didn't know where I would be going and anyway any diversion will take longer. The same must be so for emergency services.

I'm sure that everybody will survive for a few hours without your services.

Take a stroll down and watch. Maybe carry a few bottles of water, just in case...

Probably, but I was not able to plan it in advance because I didn't know where I would be going and anyway any diversion will take longer. The same must be so for emergency services.

Emergency services are always allowed through when attending genuine emergencies. They have to be or the event could not be licensed.