West Street Ale House

taxman

I cant believe any company these days would omit something as glaringly obvious as their opening hours from their facebook page :-( :mad::confused::confused:

It's kind of an analogy for the bar itself at the moment. Half-ar$ed and ill-conceived. Just hope they improve things. .

So , is the consensus 4pm opening? Thinking of going today. Which part of West Street?

Yup it is. Right at the bottom end - Opposite where Walkabout and the OMG place is that used to be the Steelhouse. Even further down than the Bierkeller.

Does anyone know when this place opens? Was hoping to head up for an after work pint but someone has said they just past it at 3pm and it looks closed. They only seem to have FragBook page, no website, so I can't access. Cheers.

I visited last week. First went past about 4pm and it was indeed closed. returned about 7pm and it was open and busy.

Essentially it just struck me as a fairly typical town centre place, but with some nice beer.

Yup it is. Right at the bottom end - Opposite where Walkabout and the OMG place is that used to be the Steelhouse. Even further down than the Bierkeller.

Cheers. Bobbed in yesterday for a half. Didn`t mind the bar area and ok selection with plenty of bottles. Busier than I expected. The far end is weird and just looks daft. Looks a bit like Ikea or something and going to the loo was an experience. As I came out, some people were leaving without being served and heard them saying `what the **** is that place supposed to be?`. I had to giggle.

If it lasts , I`ll be very surprised.

Cheers. Bobbed in yesterday for a half. Didn`t mind the bar area and ok selection with plenty of bottles. Busier than I expected. The far end is weird and just looks daft. Looks a bit like Ikea or something and going to the loo was an experience. As I came out, some people were leaving without being served and heard them saying `what the **** is that place supposed to be?`. I had to giggle.

If it lasts , I`ll be very surprised.

With you Jemmo. The place looks half finished and I'm not entirely sure which half is the finished bit! Although if you want to know what it's really like drinking in IKEA you want to try a Mikkeller bar! As for going to the loo being 'an experience' I daren't ask!

Was going to head in but looked on their FB page as saw that they had loads of average beers that I can get elsewhere without venturing to the suspect end of West Street. Gave it a miss and went to the Shakey instead which is even more of trek but is worth the effort due the beer selection.

• 2 weeks later...
With you Jemmo. The place looks half finished and I'm not entirely sure which half is the finished bit! Although if you want to know what it's really like drinking in IKEA you want to try a Mikkeller bar! As for going to the loo being 'an experience' I daren't ask!

Going to the loo is more of an expedition than "an experience" - along a corridor, up a couple of flights of stairs - I think they were the loo's for whatever used to be upstairs. You need to set off a few minutes before you need to use them.

Was in last night after the Bellowhead gig at the City Hall and the place was heaving as the post gig session was being held there. The Absolution at £3 a pint certainly hit the mark.