West Street Ale House

taxman

Going to the loo is more of an expedition than "an experience" - along a corridor, up a couple of flights of stairs - I think they were the loo's for whatever used to be upstairs. You need to set off a few minutes before you need to use them.

Was in last night after the Bellowhead gig at the City Hall and the place was heaving as the post gig session was being held there. The Absolution at £3 a pint certainly hit the mark.

You can unofficially use the disabled one on ground floor if its free but the lock is a bit fiddly - dont get locked in !!

• 6 months later...
Whats happening with this place? Has it changed hands? Been closed for a while...

I asked them the same question a few days ago.

At the moment its closed for a refurb (also a new manager, and the old manager is taking over the promotion side) and will re-open later this month.

All the gigs that have been booked for upstairs in December will be going ahead as planned.

That's right, the flats block next door is swallowing it up.

I can't say I'm that bothered, it's never been any good in its various guises. The current one is a half-hearted effort that is doomed to fail.

'Half-hearted' would have actually been an improvement! 'Half-hearted' is unfortunately how many Sheffield pubs operate and seem to survive. I only went in a few times and never saw more than half the handpumps in use which, for an 'Ale House' is inexcusable. It will be no great loss.