West Street Ale House

taxman

Arguably 'ale' means pretty much any beer, which includes Carling or Fosters or whatever fizz is on their taps. If someone has been 'supping ale' it wouldn't exclude 'lager' or stout or whatever.

These days it's sometimes used to mean the handpumped or 'craft' stuff or any beer in bottles that isn't lager, but originally it just meant no hops used.

Similarly some (usually younger) people seem to think 'beer' means 'bitter', and lager isn't 'beer'.

Edited by Bilge

Arguably 'ale' means pretty much any beer, which includes Carling or Fosters or whatever fizz is on their taps. If someone has been 'supping ale' it wouldn't exclude 'lager' or stout or whatever.

These days it's sometimes used to mean the handpumped or 'craft' stuff or any beer in bottles that isn't lager, but originally it just meant no hops used.

Similarly some (usually younger) people seem to think 'beer' means 'bitter', and lager isn't 'beer'.

Total. And Utter. Tosh. Or 'Bilge' even :)

http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/the-differences-between-ales-and-lagers/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cheers. Bobbed in yesterday for a half. Didn`t mind the bar area and ok selection with plenty of bottles. Busier than I expected. The far end is weird and just looks daft. Looks a bit like Ikea or something and going to the loo was an experience. As I came out, some people were leaving without being served and heard them saying `what the **** is that place supposed to be?`. I had to giggle.

If it lasts , I`ll be very surprised.

Just looked back at what I said after going in in April. A shame they didn`t think it out properly. It`s not the same people who have now opened Drink Inn is it perchance? Just noticed the lack of clarity with opening, etc. These days, you have to push the media imo to get word around that a new place is opening , when and with what, social media especially.