What has improve your life?

Is that on your own watchcoll or with another person?

Mostly alone, sometimes with friends. I enjoy "backpacker" style travel. Hand luggage only, staying in hostels or Airb&b's. I've met some incredible people on my travels so far & i've seen my confidence in myself grow massively.

It's incredibly rewarding & so easy to do cheaply.

I have one expensive, long haul trip a year in the summer to somewhere sunny & then other cheap week-long trips out of season around Europe. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, & it's so worth the money I do spend on it! My cheap trips usually cost about £300 for the whole trip (including spending money) but that depends on the exchange rate to Euro's.

Getting Wifi before we just had one computer and all had to take turns using the internet (now all have laptops)

Buying a Dyson upright (before we had a cylinder Vax and it was useless on carpets)

For me personally I recently bought a backpack and it is just great if I feel like walking to the shops and just in general carrying things two and from places

:)

What items have made your families lives better, not just keeping up with the Jones

Search engines, Sheffield Forum, slim-line laptops :nod:

---------- Post added 28-03-2016 at 23:32 ----------

Ryanair. Seriously! I can afford to go on holiday 5 times a year. In fact, most times the train to the airport costs more than the flights to Europe. My happiness, quality of life & feeling of contentedness has improved enormously since I started hopping round the world every couple of months

For some reason

This post pleases me :D

---------- Post added 28-03-2016 at 23:34 ----------

Mostly alone, sometimes with friends

What line of work are you in dude?

And how old are you?

If you don't mind saying :)

A previous discussion mentioned 4x4s being a staple of our lives, a step up. I drive a old, large car because its practical.

I love my Dyson because the dust from Hoovers years ago made me sneeze.

What items have made your families lives better, not just keeping up with the Jones.

Getting right down to it, money. It has a nice habit of turning insolvable problems into solvable problems.

I know you said items, but all these items are is just a physical representation of the underlying money. Generally, not exclusively the more money applied the more useful the item is. The Dyson costs more than the Hoover you mention and you are not wrong, there is a lot less dust from them.

If I'm going to pick my application of money though for a useful item it has to be the Internet and a device to access it.

However I think the most useful things are the ones that are not items. For me, the two most useful things I ever have had were my mother teaching me to cook on the cheap, and my father teaching me to fix cars on the cheap. I use them constantly even now some forty years later. I just wish more parents these days did the same for their kids.

Having started out life in a home where handwashing everything was the norm I have to say the washing machine must be the greatest item that has improved life for me and I guess most people. I started off with a twin tub and graduated to an automatic which reduced the time taken to wash and dry anything. I also appreciate very much my Dishwasher, bought when I and my younger daughter were both working, I had resisted the offer of one when I got my kitchen units on ecological grounds: I gave in when I felt I was ready for the recycling dump and needed to sit down before I fell down. the third thing I appreciate greatly is my laptop computer. for information getting, exchanging and recording. The greatest invention since the telephone and greatly enhanced by Wifi.

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 00:02 ----------

Getting right down to it, money. It has a nice habit of turning insolvable problems into solvable problems.

I know you said items, but all these items are is just a physical representation of the underlying money. Generally, not exclusively the more money applied the more useful the item is. The Dyson costs more than the Hoover you mention and you are not wrong, there is a lot less dust from them.

If I'm going to pick my application of money though for a useful item it has to be the Internet and a device to access it.

However I think the most useful things are the ones that are not items. For me, the two most useful things I ever have had were my mother teaching me to cook on the cheap, and my father teaching me to fix cars on the cheap. I use them constantly even now some forty years later. I just wish more parents these days did the same for their kids.

Perhaps we should have another thread with Useful Skills.

Mostly alone, sometimes with friends. I enjoy "backpacker" style travel. Hand luggage only, staying in hostels or Airb&b's. I've met some incredible people on my travels so far & i've seen my confidence in myself grow massively.

It's incredibly rewarding & so easy to do cheaply.

That sound great! I wish I had your state of mind. I once went to Amsterdam intending to be there for the week, but came home the next day. I always imagine that a location like Ireland doing what you do would be a blast.